Sierra high country in October?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra high country in October?

Post by TehipiteTom »

oleander wrote:Unfortunately, offhand I cannot think of any trailhead that qualifies...except Yosemite Valley/Happy Isles...or Road's End in Kings Canyon. Maybe try one of those.

Oleander
Road's End is one I was thinking about. If I were to do a mid-October trip, I'd probably basecamp for a couple days in Paradise Valley (fall color, according to Arnot) and do dayhikes from there. You should still be able to get some solitude, and you can get to some interesting places on a dayhike (e.g., Window Creek basin), but it's a pretty low risk of getting stranded.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

I don't see High Sierra in October as pleasant even on fair weather days. And November is much less so. Days are short, nights tentbound are long and chilly. Every morning ice forms on brown turf and many northern exposures are shadowy all day with remnant white snow dustings from the last early front passing. The sun is at a much lower angle even at noon so it doesn't warm up that much. Smaller streams show dried watercourses often leaving long trail stretches without water. Permanent streams are at their annual minimum flows with ice crinkling and breaking during morning along any shady bank edges. Vegetation is all dried and drab brown leaving evergreen pines and firs the only green. High country terrestrial insects have all long since hatched, lived, reproduced, and died so most birds have left for warmer climes leaving an eerie silence about vast distances. Even rodents stay in their burrows nibbling unseen on their summer larder. Deer have left the high country to eat berries at mid forest elevations. Trout readily gobble any underwater object that wiggles while ignoring the lifeless lake surfaces. Experienced backpackers and climbers are scarce too while a few novices ramble up trails proclaiming how great it is that they are alone even on popular trails. Clear skies give way to growing afternoon clouds. In the evening stars appear then later ominously disappear with a whine in whitebark pines growing each hour. One awakes in the we hours and a new sound is tinkling on one's tent. One contemplates on being really alone and why this is so.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

here's a trip I did out of tolumne meadows in october of last year:
http://picasaweb.google.com/arsmith2/Ne ... hedralLoop#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there was some snow on the ground from an early storm, but it was quite nice-- we could melt the snow for water and camp on high ridges and the hikes across exposed slabs were pleasant rather than brutally hot. Of course, had I been out the previous weekend when it was snowing, it would have been a different story... Also, the NPS closes the tioga road to overnight parking sometime in mid october, so, as mentioned previously, you'd have to get someone to drop you off and pick you up if you wanted go later.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

October is so variable that if you have to plan for a particular week or weekend, my approach would be to say "I'm going to do something in the mountains that week - what it is will depend on the weather." If the forecast looks good just before you go, then a nice backpacking trip could be great - though you still want to plan for and gear up for winter conditions just in case, and I wouldn't go too far from the trailhead or park at a trailhead where I might get snowed in. If the weather is a little iffy but not brutal, maybe car camping and day hiking would be wiser. If it looks like really bad weather, go somewhere else or rent a cabin and enjoy the wild weather as it blows past the window. Just don't get locked into a plan that might end up dangerous if the weather turns foul.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Yes yes yes, car camp and day hike if you are not excperienced in winter backpacking. You WILL have most trails to yourself, and probably not get overheated hiking. That said, a few years ago in October I roasted in 80+ degree weather, and passed within 100 yards of momma bear and 2 - 3 cubs near Shadow Lake. And last year we rode horses thru that first snowstorm. October is just exhilerating in the eastern sierra!!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I've done several trips in early - mid October, including at high elevation, and they've all been great. Absolutely no question, as many have noted, that you have to be prepared for storms. But I still think major weather is unusual at this time of year. The worst I've ever encountered was 3 - 4 inches of snow at Rae Lakes. It was never so beautiful. I made the first footprints in the snow on the Muir Trail for miles the next morning.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

I wouldn't do it. Mid October is too late. My philosophy is that I should always be back to the car by October 15 at the latest and not a day later. Even so, the first 2 weeks of October are unpredictable. The last 2 weeks - all bets are off. Anything can happen. The only backpacking I will ever do in mid October is 1 night, and only if the NOAA forecast discussion calls for beautiful weather. That way if the weather changes the following day, I will get back to my car in time before the snow storm. The problem with staying 2 nights is that the weather could change the second day, and unless you can get the latest NOAA forecast, you won't know what's happening, and it could snow by morning of the third day. Even if you're only 6 miles from your car, you can still be trapped since the trail will be covered with snow and you won't be able to find your way. Of course, if you have a satellite phone and call NOAA each day, you can find out the daily forecast and go for an extended trip without having to worry about the weather.

One other thing about October is that like other people have said, it is cold, even during the day. I remember shivering mid day about the fire. I had only brought my thin fleece and windbreaker for warmth because I wanted to go light. It was a big mistake. You'll need to dress warm and carry more. Summer is over in October.
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

very nice imagery SSSdave!

eric
fresno, ca.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

before we all get too excited here, the poster, Mark, should respond. Where does your friend want to go, and what are his capabilities?

You can actually go anywhere in the Sierra during mixed weather if you're prepared. Heck, I've done Thanksgiving trips, but those were on skiis, and I was ready for it.

MarkoBoston?
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Just looked at the extended weather forecast for 3 different NWS offices: Sacramento, Reno and Hanford. Each forecaster had a different take on Sierra weather this holiday weekend. Reno predicted slightly cooler but dry weather. Sacramento predicted slightly cooler weather with the possibility of a sprinkle or two. Hanford is looking at 2 inches of snow above 9000 feet. Each forecaster has a different opinion about the weather. Bottom line is that as it gets closer to mid October, the weather just gets more unpredictable.