What and where is you first meal out?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: What and where is you first meal out?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I prefer to go to the nearest store and buy a large tub of fresh strawberries and a cold beer.

There is a good BBQ in Walker - I think it is called Mountain View. It is closed on Mondays. It is just on the south edge of town (what little town there is!).

This spring we did a trip out of Yosemite Valley and ate breakfast at Awahnee. Believe it or not, ordering off the menu at the Sunday Brunch you can get a great meal for under $20. You can also get $1 beer at the store in Curry Village and pretty good taco salads.

But food is not my main thought when I get off a long backpack. A hot shower is my first priority. You can shower and swim in the pool at Curry Village for $5. The hot springs on Buckeye Creek is also nice. The public swim pool in Bishop is great as you drop down into 100-degree heat! I now always bring my swim suit on all backpack trips and find all sorts of public swim pools with free showers. A shower and cold swim definitely makes staying awake on the long drive home easier.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

giantbrookie wrote:I am very much interested in trying out that Lakeshore Resort spot on Huntington, though, given that my family and I hit 168 destinations more than any other in the Sierra owing to its ease of access from here--very glad you posted that, Eric.
Yeah, I'm amazed I've driven right by it so many times without checking it out. It's really worth a stop.
Usually, if anything along the 168/180 to the Fresno area persuades me to stop, it's a fresh peach milkshake at Hungry Hut in Shaver (forced hikerduane to have one with me last summer). But the milkshakes haven't been quite as good in recent years, so guess I have a new favorite stop.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Whoa!

Eric! My son and I discovered Hungry Hut on the way to a Woodchuck Country BP last week. Shake of the week was boysenberry! So good we had one yesterday when we came out of the backcountry. Also had a coffee shake at Walker Burger when driving down the east side a few days earlier. Ah do you think maybe that is why I didn't lose any weight after 8 days in the backcountry? Or the cooking of Russ, Mark, and Tehipite Tom over the 3 nights I spent with them? but that is another topic!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

oldranger wrote:Whoa!

Eric! My son and I discovered Hungry Hut on the way to a Woodchuck Country BP last week. Shake of the week was boysenberry! So good we had one yesterday when we came out of the backcountry.
I'm not saying the place sux, just that it used to be better (believe it or not). :thumbsup:
oldranger wrote: Also had a coffee shake at Walker Burger when driving down the east side a few days earlier.
Another very worthwhile stop! Only been there once, but loved that place.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
huts

Post by huts »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I prefer to go to the nearest store and buy a large tub of fresh strawberries and a cold beer.

There is a good BBQ in Walker - I think it is called Mountain View. It is closed on Mondays. It is just on the south edge of town (what little town there is!).
Strawberries and beer sounds a lot like me......
The Mountain View BBQ in Walker is closed on Tues and Wed in the heart of the season. .

Are you dissin my town? :p
teejay
Topix Acquainted

Post by teejay »

My only criteria is free soda refills :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok. other than jolly kone on the way in for lunch on my early Sept trip, what is a good place to eat dinner in Bishop? before the trip.

Russ
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

If I am on the east side, I will hit Nevado's at Minaret and Main in Mammoth. It's a bit spendy, but the contrast to a week of iron rations is beyond description. I generally don't plan on driving anywhere after that meal til the next morning.

Mike
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mike McGuire wrote:If I am on the east side, I will hit Nevado's at Minaret and Main in Mammoth. It's a bit spendy, but the contrast to a week of iron rations is beyond description. I generally don't plan on driving anywhere after that meal til the next morning.

Mike
Reviews seem to indicate not really that great.. So, nothing in Bishop then.. no little corner place like in Lee Vining? cuz, that's on the way as well. GB, seemed to indicate that all the good places in Bishop were closed. sad..

Russ
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

Over quite a few years I have found Nevado's to be consistently great. As Brendan Behan said, "Critics are like eunuchs, they know a lot about the theory..."

Mike