Day hikes out of 1,000 Island?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kapelmuur
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Day hikes out of 1,000 Island?

Post by Kapelmuur »

Hi all,

First-time poster and I was hoping I might trouble the folks here for some day hike suggestions out of 1,000 Island Lake. First, for the obligatory info:

What level of backpacking experience do you have?

I'm with a group and as a whole they are squarely: Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails.

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?

Class 1

What is your main interest?

- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery

We'll be coming in by way of the River Trail from Agnew Meadows and thus would like something that doesn't have us backtracking too much. We'll have one 1/2-day and one full-day opportunity so anything from 2-8 miles is a possibility, although there is a chance that a more fit group might split off and try for something more ambitious, although glacier travel unfortunately isn't an option :crybaby: . Thanks very much in advance for your help!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Day hikes out of 1,000 Island?

Post by maverick »

So if I understand correctly you will be staying at 1000 Is Lake from where you
would like to do a day hike after you arrive, and then one longer the next day?
Will you be going back the next day, therefore staying 2 nights?
Kapelmuur
Topix Newbie

Post by Kapelmuur »

maverick wrote:So if I understand correctly you will be staying at 1000 Is Lake from where you
would like to do a day hike after you arrive, and then one longer the next day?
Will you be going back the next day, therefore staying 2 nights?
Yes, exactly correct.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I would recommend that you stay at 1000 Island Lake the first night, and below
Lake Ediza next to Ediza Creek, and exit the Shadow Creek Trail back down to Agnew
thereby visiting 2 of the prime locations with out having to backtrack at all.
While at 1000 Is Lake just walk to the south western end of the lake which is pretty or
you could go up towards Island Pass to the small lakes to get a view from above.
Since the days are getting shorter, and depending when you get on the trail you may
not have all that much time, after setting up camp, eating, and washing up, before
sunset.
Make sure you get up for sunrise to see Banner Peak it is quite a sight, and same for
Lake Ediza.
At Ediza you can hike around the lake and follow the north fork of the creek and visit
Nydiver Lakes, or go up towards Iceberg Lake and check out the views.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Easy dayhike over gentle terrain to Davis Lakes; a little longer, with more climb, to Marie Lakes. If you're willing to do some off-trail dayhiking, you could do a good loop by taking trail up to Marie and then cutting off-trail (easy route) to Davis.
markoboston
Topix Novice

Post by markoboston »

A very easy day hike would be over to Garnet Lake by way of Emerald and Ruby lakes. All of the lakes are very pretty.

A slightly more challenging but very doable day hike cross country would be to North Glacier Pass, next to Banner Peak and overlooking Catherine Lake. You would want a topo map for this. Go to the west end of Thousand Island Lake and then follow the drainage from the northwest corner of the lake up to the pass. You have a spectacular view of Thousand Island Lake and a taste of the Sierra Crest. Descending from there to Catherine Lake is possible but somewhat tricky, over a talus slope.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

If this is your first visit to the area and you want to stay on trails, one full day hike option would be to follow the JMT/PCT north from 1,000 Island to Donohue Pass, and back. Takes you into beautiful Rush Creek drainage, which is actually east side Sierra, and you have expansive views at Island Pass and the over Lyell Fork and upper Tuolumne from Donohue. Wildflowers should be primo this year, too.

BUT, all the suggestions above are superb. You'd kick yourself later if you don't take in Shadow & Ediza while you're right there. Don't forget to sing the "Happy Wanderer" song in full harmony while on those trails! :D
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Timberline wrote:Don't forget to sing the "Happy Wanderer" song in full harmony while on those trails! :D
But whatever you do, don't let The Sound of Music get stuck in your head. Just try not to think about that song. Put it completely out of your mind. If you start thinking "the hills are aliiiiive...", just. stop.

I'll post a reminder of this right before your trip just to make sure.
;)
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

regarding the previous N. glacier pass suggestion-- this is indeed a beautiful area, although the last bit up to the pass, and then getting around lake catherine is boulder hopping and talus-- not technical, but, in my opinion, not much fun (although the only time I did it was at the end of a long day, so perhaps I was just too worn out). However, depending on how much of a hike you're up for, going up towards the pass and turning around maybe 2/3 of the way will have you walking through spectacular meadows with babbling brooks and the occasional dramaticaly sculpted clumps of lodgepole pines-- just all around beautiful scenery. Especially if you're camped on the east end of 1000 island lake, just walking along the lake and up through the meadows could fill half a day.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

here is a picture of the traverse around lake catherine at north glacier pass:
http://picasaweb.google.com/arsmith2/Tu ... 8833836386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here is one of the meadows west of 1000 island, on the way up to N glacier pass
http://picasaweb.google.com/arsmith2/Tu ... 2960997381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;