Yosemite backpacking advice for this summer/fall?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite backpacking advice for this summer/fall?

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:Russ,

Never heard the drums. That's what you get for hanging around camp during the day. As much as it hurts I agree with Mark (an all to common occurence).

m
Actually, the drums played at about 9am in the morning, then again at Noon, and then again at 9pm at night. The guitar was heard around 7pm. You were in camp during the 9pm playing. That didn't bug me nearly as much as their use of an axe for lots of the day keeping a fire going all day inside of Yose.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

"That didn't bug me nearly as much as their use of an axe for lots of the day keeping a fire going all day inside of Yose."
FYI, the same drum-beating, llama-using, bonfire-building pair, (father and son, across the lake), also showed up at Lower Ottoway a few days later...Odd pair.

Funny, even though a big posted sign there said, "No fires, 10,007 feet elevation," they still had their day fire. Why? - Who knows. Fortunately, they were camped next to the trail crew, (fished with one of the crew), who subsequently tore them a new one.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Vidalia
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Vidalia »

I thought the question of music in Yosemite would result in different views. At least it wasn't a question about guns! (Let's not go there!)

I think we will let the guitar stay at home just to ensure we don;t ruin anyone else's experience. I appreciate the responses.

One more thing...(or two?)
We'll be taking the last YARTS bus from YV to Tuolumne Meadows at 5P and will be staying in the backpackers campground there. I assume the bus driver knows where to let us off so we don;t have to hoof a couple of miles. I have made reservations at the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge restaurant for us at 8PM. How far is the lodge restaurant from the backpackers campground? We may end up cancelling the reservation but I thought it would be nice to get a full meal before a week of backcountry vittles!

Vidalia
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

Get off the YARTS bus at the TM store. The campground stretches all around the backside of the store but the main entrance to the campground is a short, 100 yards, walk to the east. You could try some of the shortcuts behind the store, but for people new to the campground it is usually easier to walk along the main routes.

The TM Lodge is about 1 mile east of the backpackers campground. There is a shuttle bus that runs in Tuolumne but it only runs until 7pm so you'll have to walk to it, or get a lift.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

LMBSGV wrote:No guitars. The Yosemite backcountry is wilderness, not a living room.
I always bring a guitar. The backcountry is Gods creation and I cannot help but worship Him while there. For me that worship is, in part, through music.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.