2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
bytwerk
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by bytwerk »

We were up from Courtright Reservoir August 1-7. The bugs declined throughout. On the 2nd at Rae Lake, where we camped for four nights, they were around 3, with gusts to 4. On the 3rd, they were nasty on Lower Indian Lake. On the 4th, around Hell for Sure Lake, they were 2. On the 5th at Devil's Punchbowl, there were hardly a nuisance. On our last night, the 6th, we were at Post Corral Meadow, where they were occasionally noticeable. There was, however, a plague of flies for part of the day.

One member of the party brought along something called a ThermoCELL:

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I scoffed at first. It actually worked. It was particularly useful when following nature's call. One turned it on upon leaving camp. By the time one got up the hill to an appropriate spot, it was functioning, and one could conduct one's exposed business in general comfort. Ditto when using a solar shower.

Anyone else had experiences with the thing? Hunters, apparently, swear by it.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Just returned from 4-night backpack into Ansel Adams from Devils Postpile. At 11pm Aug 4 we night hiked with flashlights 2 miles up the trail towards Johnston Lake and squeets were 0. During the late morning of Aug 8 when we returned squeeters in that area were about 2.5. Beyond there, squeeters around seeps, streams, and lakes were at least 3, sometimes 4 while less wet areas about 2.5. On Aug 5 wearing usual battle gear and DEET, I never got bit once on the trail although they were always buzzing about very frustrated. We camped 2 days right in a hemlock grove within a huge lush wildflower seep where they were abundant. But really didn't bother me. During the following days I did get bit a few times when going out without DEET. I always take a quick dip in water to get clean each late afternoon and then avoid sunscreen or DEET. For instance Aug 6 at 9800 feet didn't even put DEET on till one bit me at about 8am. Before then squeets were still hiding from the usual night time cool. I used one of those new Repel 40% DEET tubes and applied new juice about every 3 hours. The tube ran out on my third day and then pulled out a fat bottle of Jungle Juice...100% DEET. Not only did they avoid me but wouldn't even buzz near haha.
sdetektor
Topix Newbie

Post by sdetektor »

Did a loop in Desolation through Velma Lakes, Dicks Pass and back by Gilmore lake and Fallen Leaf lake.

Mosquitos were ok during the day, picked up in the afternoon. Upper Velma was a bit buggy (new headnet, while goofy, worked well). Only used a bit of DEET, maybe 2/5 on the mosquito scale.

Couldn't get much of a gauge past Dicks pass due to t-storms and rain. Not too buggy, but it probably was due to the weather as we'd heard Gilmore was pretty bad.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Ok kids, whaddya think? Should I bring skeeter goop on a four day loop out of mineral king (starting on friday) or is that time of year when I can safely leave it at home?

I know, I know. If I bring the ultrathon I won't see a single bug. If I leave it at home I'll be swarmed. Murphys Law for the sierra, I guess.
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

Def bring the Ultrathon (best stuff I have EVER found). Was out for 8 days, ending 8/4, and saw skeeters most days. Once at camp I have on long pants and a jacket so the only targets they have are my hands, neck and face. I dabbed on some Ultrathon and didn't worry about the sometimes swarms.

I think Cathedral Lake was the worst (8/1). I'd give it a 4.5 on our Topix scale. But with the Ultrathon they were just noisy.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

was up at Island lake in Tahoe NF near Grouse ridge this weekend. Skeeters about a 2.
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

In the Ten Lakes basin at Yosemite this weekend (Aug 14, 15) the mosquitoes were variable (2-4). As we hiked in a couple told us the mosquitoes were "horrific" at Grant Lakes, so we asked a few other people hiking out who had been to Ten Lakes. Responses ranged from "mildly annoying" to "pretty bad, but not as bad as Minnesota". I got a bite or two just walking through the trees near the large westernmost lake. We hiked up to the northernmost lake, and found a campsite on granite above the lake and didn't see a single mosquito until the sun went behind the mountain. They got bad enough by dusk that I donned a head net, but only for 20 minutes or so.
rock_snow_sky
Topix Newbie

Post by rock_snow_sky »

I too am walking out of Mineral King for about 7 days starting next week. Calpidder, would love to hear what your experiences with skeeters were, especially around big/little 5 lakes.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

The mosquitoes were bad along the PCT from Echo Lake to Lake Aloha on Monday 8/16/10 in Desolation Wilderness. I kept swatting them and got several bites. Other people were swatting them too. The ranger told me they're even worse at Lake of the Woods. I was day hiking with my wife but we got a late start so we didn't get back until sunset. They were getting worse and we had to move fast to avoid more bites.
markoboston
Topix Novice

Post by markoboston »

Clarice Lake (off the JMT between Garnet Lake and Shadow Lake) 8/8-8/12: 2
During the same period, 1000 Island Lake and Ediza Lake on day hikes were more like 3.
My first two days base camped at Clarice Lake, I shared the lake with another party. One of them told me that the mosquito intensity had dropped dramatically there during the first week of August, as the boggy areas began to dry out.