Partner needed: 8/27-9/6 Remote Kings Canyon NP 11day

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cheetahwoka
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Partner needed: 8/27-9/6 Remote Kings Canyon NP 11day

Post by Cheetahwoka »

This is my first post, hi everybody! I hope I put this "Partner needed" in the correct forum category.

Fri 8/27-Labor Day 9/6 Seeking partner for 11-day BP in the most remote and least visited areas of Kings Canyon NP! 2 options: on-trail, or with some XC.

On-trail: Cedar Grove / Pinchot Pass / Mather Pass / Middle Fork Kings (MF Kings) / Tehipite Valley / Wishon Res.

Trail + XC: Cedar Grove / Granite Basin / Cirque Crest High Route / Cartridge Pass / Mather Pass / Middle Fork Kings (MF Kings) / Tehipite Valley / Wishon Res.

I Enjoy BP 13-16 mi/day on-trail, 7-9 if xc, and eating fresh trout. REALLY tired of solo trips, mainly for safety reasons.

I'm off-line til 8/12, on a trip into Blackcap Basin, etc, but SEND AN EMAIL anyways thanks!
Cheetahwoka
Topix Acquainted

Re: Partner needed: 8/27-9/6 Remote Kings Canyon NP 11day

Post by Cheetahwoka »

Okay, back from my Blackcap Basin trip! Anyone out there want an 10 or 11-day trip ending on Labor Day? It doesn't HAVE to be Kings Middle Fork, I have a large bucket list. Blue Canyon/Goddard Creek/Ionian Basin/Goddard Canyon. Or Cloud Canyon/Colby Pass/Kaweah basins/Kern-Kaweah. How about romping in upper Bear Creek to fish, out of (what is it?) Edison Lake? All those places I really must have a partner with.

Or perhaps for a future trip? Available partners with a good pace and terrain match are hard to find.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Keio

Welcome to HST.
You might get some one who is interested if you give a little info about yourself, and
your experience level, though most folks all ready have there plans set way before the
summer season, especially when doing a 10 day trip.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Why not go alone?

Post by gregw822 »

I've come to love being out there solo. I did Cloud/Colby/Kern-Kaweah solo quite a few years ago. Nowadays, age (56) dictates some prudence, so I rarely go off trail solo, but there are trails for most of the routes you mention. Try it. It's wonderful, if you don't mind your own company.

"I get along with me so well, I can't even believe it."
Tom Waits
Cheetahwoka
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cheetahwoka »

Thanks Maverick, I'll post about myself. I love the Sierra backcountry. I live in Three Rivers, right outside Sequoia NP. I am looking for experienced BP partners, preferably women but nice guys are fine, for long trips into the remote areas that are not prudent to do solo. I've been soloing for many years, even with remote xc sections, 'cause the alternative is to NOT GO. I do love and welcome solitude. I just finished a 6-day solo trip into remote Blackcap Basin. So for years I've done that, but it's really not safe, and it's a bit lonely. I want to share those backcountry thrills!

There are places I've been hankering to go for 25 years that are too remote to do alone safely. Because of the going-for-help factor.

I'm female, 52, unusually strong hiker, bp-ed since '83, lightweight kit with a baseweight under 15 lbs with fishing equipment, so for an 11-day trip pack weight is under 30 lbs with food, fuel, AND a qt of water. I can comfortably hike 1.5-2.0 mph with a full pack on, INCLUDING all breaks, lunch, smelling the flowers, taking photos, etc. I like to cover at least 10 miles per day backpacking. I can dawdle until noon in camp, hike 10 miles, and make camp before dark, OR start at 8 am and make camp by 3:00 pm, in time to take a cat-bath in a warm shallow tarn and catch a trout dinner. If I really need to cover miles for a long trip with limited time, I will eagerly cover 15 mi/day for a few days.

I've had great fun bp-ing with groups going 7mi/day, but there are places I'd like to go where that pace wouldn't work so well, and off-trail places they don't want to go. I am already working on my Sierra bucket list.

I tend to avoid busy trails like the JMT and prefer to explore high alpine basins on off-trail xc routes, but I am limited to class 2 and very easy class 3 xc passes and peaks because I have acrophobia. So folks in climbing groups and forums usually surpass my heights abilities, and want to do peaks I can't manage.

I've been using the web since last summer to find partners; have joined several hiking and bp-ing meetup groups, and am a trip organizer for 1 group since last fall. Most of them are beginner or lower mileage hikers (surprise). I've been hoping to find partner(s) for this trip this summer, had several Maybe's (most declined) but have nobody confirmed yet. None of those had ever done a trip of this magnitude. So I finally (late I admit) started posting for partners on forums.

Anyone out there like this pace and terrain? For 4+day trips? Even for a future trip?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Keio

Do you have a trip report and pictures from your last trip, I would love to see them.
It has been quit a while since I visited that area, but I remember liking
Valor, Rainbow, Ram Lakes, and the Lightning Corral Meadow area.
How were the wildflowers?
Cheetahwoka
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cheetahwoka »

I'd be happy to post them a bit later, still need to catch up back here at the ranch. I'll post as a new thread.
rainwalker
Topix Novice

Post by rainwalker »

hi there from ireland, in reply to your article, im also doing a mostly x-country trip from aug 27 to sept 17 , the permits i have are for roads end, junction meadow,basin bellow longley pass,sphinx lakes and back to roads end, that was the warm up hike, the second section starts on 1 sept , granite lake, state lakes, way on down to middle fork and bushwack up goddard creek to ionian basin, wanda pass, evolution, sno-tongue pass,granite park,lake italy,vvr. i am also going solo, and for safety reasons several sections on my trip may not see another hiker for several days, especially goddard creek, if we could coincide that section at least that would be great, im flying to san fran aug 25, heading down to cedar grove on the 27. p.s i have been to the sierras several times before, stephen.
Cheetahwoka
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cheetahwoka »

I found a partner for a 10-day trip, leaving tomorrow, but in a completely different area.

So I am still looking for s.o. who wants to go up (or down) the Middle Fork of the Kings, perhaps late this season or even next year. Including some XC, maybe along the Monarch Divide using Cartridge Pass. Or that could be 2 different trips. I'll be gone for 10 days, will respond when I get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have a safe, and fun trip.
Would love to hear which area you all ended up going for 10 days.