Rush's Swim: Cherry Ck

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Rush's Swim: Cherry Ck

Post by mokelumnekid »

Check out kayaking bad-ass Rush Sturgis run Cherry Bomb Falls. His paddle snaps immediately and somehow he gets through it with hand rolls. Rolling in foamy water is hard with a paddle and really hard with just your hands. And notice that keeper hole at the end.....And to show you how tough those new plastic boats are- the boat was fine when they retrieved it (and why I bought a Dagger Mamba after watching this)!

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi15DKNMkWg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Rush's Swim: Cherry Ck

Post by rayfound »

That seems wildly dangerous.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Agreed.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

That looks like some extreme kayaking, but fun it your an adrenaline junky.
I saw a kayaking special a few years back on either the outdoor channel or
the national geographic channel and they were doing some unbelievable stuff
on this 1 hour show, like going over 25-30 foot high water falls for example.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

That guy's a pro. He got caught in the hole and knew he couldn't get out w/o a paddle, so he went swimming. I wonder if he had a carbon fiber paddle.....
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I'm certain it was carbon-fiber. But they are brittle- interesting to see him try and paddle with the broken-off piece, and then fling it away. He must have been so exhausted by that last hole, he figured it was time to bail. Generally you are safer in your boat than out of it unless the boat gets stuck in a hole. Watching that gives me the heebie-jeebies. I took a long swim in January in the Skykomish (Washington where I live) that was nothing as hard as this, and it scared the crap out of me. Part of it is being in water that will give you a ice cream headache, and is trying to spin you ass-over-teakettle... I have a lot of respect for these young turks- they are talented athletes with moxie. I'll never ever do something like this, but I like knowing that each generation seeks the edge of the envelope. When I was young (late '60's early '70's) it was climbing in Yosemite Valley (which I didn't do), now that is almost passe as a rite of passage.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

"When I was young (late '60's early '70's) it was climbing in Yosemite Valley
(which I didn't do), now that is almost passe as a rite of passage."
Like guys free climbing El Cap in several hours!
BillyBobBurro
Topix Regular

Post by BillyBobBurro »

I have hiked the relevant trail so I know where these kayakers get into the cherry creek canyon. How do they get out? Kayak across Cherry lake?

I would like to fish up thru this canyon so I'd be doing the same trip but in reverse and of course after the snow run-off is done.

-Bill