Recs for bag at 10000

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
adornowest
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Recs for bag at 10000

Post by adornowest »

I'm going on a 5-day backpacking trip in the Mineral King area of SEKI later this week (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). This is my first backpacking trip in years, and unfortunately, my old bag, the Cat's Meow, appears to have been lost in the several moves I've made over the years.

I'd like a bag, of course, that is a lite as possible while still being comfy. All of our campsites are around 10,000 - 10,500. The weather report seems to be indicating temperatures of 30s to 40s at night at 8,000 feet. What's the highest temperature rating you think I can get away with and still ensure comfort? I bought a MH Phantom 32 because it was so lite, but now I'm beginning to think I should take something warmer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. (I'm 5'11 160)

p.s. any specific bag recs would also be appreciated
rayfound
Topix Expert

Re: Recs for bag at 10000

Post by rayfound »

Well, for general summer sierra use, I have done well thus far with a 30 degree down bag. (and a cheap one at that, $100). I sleep in a tent, on a 1 1/2" Thermrest and generally camp from 10,000-11,500 feet.

That being said, if you're willing to spend a bit more money, I think a 15 or 20 degree is about the perfect bag for the average Sierra Backpacker. You can stretch into the shoulder seasons more than with a 30 degree, and you can spend nights without a tent easier, sleep in fewer clothes, etc...

So, as it always goes with sleeping bags... it depends on you. What weather do you want to be prepared to ENJOY backpacking in, and what do you want to wear to bed, do you sleep in a tent, etc...

regardless of what the weather reports say, I feel like the nights over 10,000 feet and above the treeline get below 32 most nights, even through the summer, as often some frost or ice is found come morning. Buuuuuut.... I'm comfy in my 30 degree (which is probably no warmer than your 32), provided I'm in a tent and wearing clothes to bed.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I would highly recommend an Ultralite Western Mountaineering Bag, which I have
been using for the last several year, and it will get you thru late spring, and early
fall trips.
It is expensive, but well worth the cost.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Sierra Trading post has some good bags on sale right now, especially if you get there 30% off deal flyer.
One is a Marmot, Medicine Bow 20 degree down bag, 2lb 14oz.
Regular price of $205 and STP price of $152.50. If you can get the 30% off deal flyer you can buy the bag for $106.75.

They also have a Marmot 15°F Sorcerer Sleeping Bag - Synthetic, that can be had for $44.06 with the 30% off deal.

Probably a little too close to your need date but maybe you could FedX.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I use a Marmot Hydrogen - same rating as your phantom - for all my summer sierra jaunts, and have been very happy with it.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

There is nothing that will spoil a great backpacking trip more than waking up freezing in the middle of the night...waiting for sunrise and not being able to fall back to sleep - shivering. As the season wanes and temperatures drop, the nights get longer - thus more bag time is required. Maybe you can get by with your 32º bag, but that's not for me. Of all your gear, a "warm enough" bag is a necessity, freezing is not an option.
Recommend renting/borrowing a good 20º bag just to be sure. You can always open it up, (which I doubt you will do at 10,500 feet), if too warm. The Sierra is forgiving, but you should have the right bag along, just to make sure... This time of year especially.

I too carry a WM bag and it works - well.
Mountainman who swims with trout
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

I have a Marmot Helium that is the best bag I have ever owned. 850 fill down, rated to 15 degrees, weighing 1lb 15oz. It also compresses down to size of two nalgene bottles. It's expensive, but I think a high quality, warm bag is a peice of gear worth having. I have never slept better.