Trip Advice: Non-Designated Car Camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gmudd
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Trip Advice: Non-Designated Car Camping

Post by gmudd »

Hello,

A few buddies and I are thinking of taking a camping trip this weekend. I've been to the Sierras many times, but only camped in designated campgrounds. If possible, I'd like to try something a bit more remote this time around.

Here's what we're looking for - any advice would be much appreciated!

--Car camping - Looking for someplace we can drive to
--Somewhat close to Interstate 80 or Route 50 (we're coming from SF and don't want to spend too much time driving)
--Allows campfires (happy to get a permit)
--Ok for my dog

I'm thinking something in Tahoe or Eldorado National Forest would be good, but I'm fairly unfamiliar with both. For background, I've been camping for 20 years, backcountry and otherwise, and will certainly make sure to leave wherever we camp in very good shape.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Graham
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: Non-Designated Car Camping

Post by rlown »

So, You want to drive up and camp? Ok, I'll throw out silver lake on 88. Not really what we're about here, but..

For a more interesting place there's Leavitt Lk off 108, but it's not a very friendly road in, depending on what you drive.

None of these are off of 50 and 80 because, well, why?

You didn't say if you fish or have other outdoor hobbies so that's about as vague as i can be.
gmudd
Topix Newbie

Post by gmudd »

Sorry, I realize this isn't the type of camping this site is about, but appreciate the help.

Don't care if it's right off 50 or 80, just don't be driving for TOO long after a long week at work.

Silver Lake looks great. Can one camp outside of designated campgrounds?

As for hobbies, day hiking, fishing and rafting are at the top of the list.

Thanks again for the help.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

For Silver, i think you are in a campground. For Leavitt, It's wherever you desire. I'd vote for Leavitt.

Fishing is ok at both. smaller in Leavitt. If your vehicle can take a little punishment, I'd do Leavitt. Also a very pretty area. Wood will be an issue for fires. It's at 9560'.. You'd probably need a permit for a fire. Bring your own wood. truly a magical place.

If you are who i think you are, use google earth and take a look.. (that would mean tech savvy)
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Howdy, Graham,

suggest you look into Crystal Basin in Eldorado NF. North (left turn) off Hwy 50 beyond Pollock Pines, take Ice House Road up into the basin. Car camping is available at Ice House and Wright's Lakes, or at Union Valley Reservoir, or even at Loon Lake further on. Campfires OK I think at all the designated campsites. Good day hike and fishing options, depending on what you're looking for and how equipped. Wright's Lake is my favorite as it's closest to the wilderness, w/one-lane paved road access, altho I go straight for the trailhead (I've never camped at the car-accessible sites) Offers west side entrances to Desolation Valley Wilderness, with self-issue day use permits.

Important to check w/Eldorado NF about campsite reservations and get fire permits. www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/ for more info.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
huts

Post by huts »

Leavitt Lake is a wonderful place but the road is real challenging. Do not even attempt it without high clearance. A member of our group punctured an oil pan last weekend and the tow out cost 300.00. It can be cold and windy and unfortunately often populated by at least one group with an AK47 :snipe: and/or other lovely "toys" but I still love the place......
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

huts wrote:Leavitt Lake is a wonderful place but the road is real challenging. Do not even attempt it without high clearance. A member of our group punctured an oil pan last weekend and the tow out cost 300.00. It can be cold and windy and unfortunately often populated by at least one group with an AK47 :snipe: and/or other lovely "toys" but I still love the place......

AK47 guy might have been me. :cool: but, i digress. On the flipside of that argument, i don't think they require bear cans.

I do know that mini-vans have been successful at getting in. I'm constantly surprised what smart people can actually drive into certain places. We always did the road in something 4x4 truck style. As with any area, it's how you pick the time to be there. Cold and windy is somewhat relative.

$300 is cheap considering when and where someone was going too fast and punctured their oil pan. :wink:

Some of the potential day-hikes there are great, and even some reasonable mountain biking options. PCT runs right through the middle, so you never know who you might meet.

Russ
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

The Forest Service calls it dispersed camping. It is perfectly legal and acceptable anywhere except where specifically prohibited. The more popular areas are restricted to camping only in designated campgrounds. You generally are not allowed to camp within a 1/4 mile of a developed campground, but outside ot that 99% of NF land is open.

Check local fire restrictions, and note that in some places open fires are not allowed but gas or propane stoves are OK. The recently enacted travel restrictions limit how far you can travel off the road to set up camp.

If you don't mind exploring a bit, camp the first night at the first convenient spot even if not ideal. Drive the road system the next day to look for better spots. Dispersed camping is the only way we car camp anymore, and we have serendipitously found some outstanding campsites by just aimlessly wandering the forest road system.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

You will need a fire permit wherever you camp....and as noted before, some areas don't allow open fires at all.

Another area to explore would be off Highway 89 to the North of Truckee...a series of reservoirs and rivers there that offer fishing, primitive camping, and nice scenery. And they are VERY conveniently located---very quick to get there from Sacto, for example.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

For dispersed camping you need a campfire permit to use a stove. You can pick one up at any National Forest ranger station in California. Sequoia National Forest conveniently lets you get one on-line after you pass a quiz (and it's good in all California National Forests until the end of the year).

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passesp ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;