NeoAir Thermarest...new product

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: NeoAir Thermarest...new product

Post by rlown »

ok.. so I did buy the NeoAir L and it was great. for 10 days in the backcountry, before it started it's leak.. I didn't look for the leak, but it's been on either a tarp or in a tent the whole 10 days.

I love the thing when it works. And it's current leak puts my hips on the ground at about 3am.

bought it at REI.. guess what's getting replaced before my next trip in early Sept. :D
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the 411 Russ.
This seems to be an issue that I read about, but as usual it is hard to know whether
a lot of people are experiencing this, or just a few, and then people pass it on, and it
becomes a bigger issue than it really is.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

don't get me wrong. I'm going to replace it via REI. It's really nice if you protect it.. not sure why it leaked.

I hear the Exped leaks as well (Mike). In our last "backcountry meeting" 3 mattresses leaked/failed.

TehipiteTom's "mattress" held up because it's closed foam. :nod: not that i could sleep on that again, but to each their own.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have used a closed Washington Pad that I cut down to the contours of my body
to shave off even more weight, but on some trips some thing a little more cushy would
be nice, but not if I have to worry about leakage, especially at that price.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

After finding a leak I returned my NeoAir and bought two Prolites (sz small) for me and the wife. About 2oz heavier. But considerably cheaper, and no leaks...yet.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Eric, a leak from a seam/weaker/lighter materials, or a puncture/abrasion or what?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rayfound wrote:Eric, a leak from a seam/weaker/lighter materials, or a puncture/abrasion or what?
I never was able to precisely locate the leak, although I suspect it was a side seam. To my chagrin the leak revealed itself on the first night of a four night trip (@ ~2am), so as you might expect, I was NOT a happy camper by the final day of the trip. In fact, before even driving home, I stopped at the local REI and returned the NeoAir. I think reading all the reports of leaks, experiencing one personally, and the fact that it was such a pricey pad to begin with, made it easier for me to decide on the spot that it just wasn't the pad for me.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

" I think reading all the reports of leaks, experiencing one personally, and the fact that it was such a pricey pad to begin with, made it easier for me to decide on the spot that it just wasn't the pad for me."
Eric, if memory serves [-X , I came to the same exact conclusion here last year...Light but too flimsy.
I wrote, "Seemed very thin/ fragile - thought dangerously so. (easily pop-able?) field fix questionable....especially if punctured down in the tube area."

Just because it got all the big hype, that does not make it dependable, (or trustworthy). Everyone I know who bought one and has used it hard for over two weeks, eventually says the same thing. :thumbsdown:

Maybe the next generation will fix the flaws. Until then my Prolite 4 (@ only 2 oz more) works just fine.

Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Thanks guys, if nothing else you've calmed my lust for a sub 1-lb sleeping pad for now. I'll stick with my old Heavy(34 oz!) full length pad for now... it just got its first repair this week.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:Eric, if memory serves [-X , I came to the same exact conclusion here last year...Light but too flimsy.
I wrote, "Seemed very thin/ fragile - thought dangerously so. (easily pop-able?) field fix questionable....especially if punctured down in the tube area."

Just because it got all the big hype, that does not make it dependable, (or trustworthy). Everyone I know who bought one and has used it hard for over two weeks, eventually says the same thing. :thumbsdown:

Yeah, well, I guess I just don't listen very well.

markskor wrote:Maybe the next generation will fix the flaws. Until then my Prolite 4 (@ only 2 oz more) works just fine.

Which is the same decision I made (see earlier post in this thread).