Osprey Exos 58

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Osprey Exos 58

Post by ERIC »

I'm looking for some feedback on this pack. Anyone here have one? Pros? Cons? Alternatives?

Cheers

New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Osprey Exos 58

Post by oldranger »

eric,

yes I used one on several day hikes and 5 backpack trips for a total of about 27 nights last summer. I liked the fact that it is so light and it is comfortable for me. I overloaded it to plus 50 lbs for planned two full weeks but cut the trip short two days because of too much rain and too little book. I can't say it was fun for an old fart like me to be carrying a third of my weight but once into the low forties it was as comfortable as any pack I have worn. Durability is an issue but I finally paid attention to Osprey's Guarantee so for the cost of postage one way they will repair or replace.

The problem as someone on the forum once noted is that the pack is kind of a hybrid between an external and internal frame pack so the bottom of the frame is covered with fabric but then it is susceptible to wear (mine has worn through at the two lowest places on the frame where it comes into contact with rocks as sit down and lean back. Had I thought about it I probably would have covered those two spots with a little duct tape or even some repair fabric. But now I will send it in and get it repaired. Other people have noted that the netting on the bottle holders is susceptible to snagging when busting through brush. I only did that once, with Markskor, as we dropped down to the Merced from Obelisk Lake. I didn't have any problems with the pack and there is no damage from that experience. Because there is mesh suspended from the frame that separates the load from your back the pack is much cooler than any internal frame pack I have used in the past. Because the load is much closer to your back than an external frame pack it is much more stable than an internal frame pack when doing tough moves. Because there are only three sizes and the anchor points of the shoulder straps are not adjustable the key to its comfort is weather one of the sizes fits. I have read some critiques about the lack of padding in the shoulder straps and hip belt. My experience is that the most important thing for comfort is how well the straps and belt contour to your body. These seem to fit me pretty well. Finally another critique about the pack is that the belt cinches (there are two) seem to slip. I kind of thought the same for a while then I realized that the way the cinch system works you need to pull on the cinch straps a couple of times to get the tension equalized.

In sum, the pack works for me! Doesn't mean it will for you. I keep looking for the next best thing but for what I want all the other comparable packs weigh about a pound more which would mean not taking my 151 or taking less fishing gear, neither an attractive alternative for this old coot.

Hope this helps. Be sure load it up and walk around in the store for an hour. Then if you think it will work get it from REI and if you don't like it return it. Oh, on my long trips I carry my tent (1 1/2 lb Tarptent Contrail) externally and a Bearicade Weekender will fit in horizontally.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Wow, great info - thank you. Didn't see your earlier posts. I suppose I could have practiced what I preach and actually searched the forum before posting a new thread on this. :retard: Just pulled the trigger on an Exos 58 on Ebay, so we'll see how it works out.

I'm usually pretty happy with Osprey packs. The decision this time ended up being between the Exos 58 and Atmos 50. The Atmos line is a bit heavier with a slightly smaller volume, but seems to be more durable than the Exos line. I own an Atmos 35 and my wife has an old Atmos 25 that we both absolutely love. My wife also has a Talon 33, and from what you're saying, I'm assuming the lightweight construction of the Exos line will be similar to that of the Talon.

Thanks again.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Followup on repair.

After sending in my exos 58 for repairs Osprey did the repair and returned the pack within 2 weeks. The initial problem was dealt with admirably but a new problem was created. When returning the frame into the pack after the repair part of the mesh that suspends the pack from the hikers back was torn but not repaired. I took photos and e-mailed to the return manager with note that I needed the pack by July 12. He said to send it back with receipt for my shipping cost and they would credit my credit card for my shipping cost.

The pack was returned in perfect shape but a week too late and I still haven't received a credit. I now own 2 Exos 58s. Carrying less than 35 lbs my last two trip was really quite enjoyable. I have one pack set up for day hikes and the other with my cooking stuff for overnighters. So I still have to mix contents of packs for overnighters plus add sleeping bags and pads that are stored uncompressed on top of bunkbed and then add the appropriate tent for the trip.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Eric

I also have been carrying one for 2 seasons and unlike Mike am not thrilled with
the pack, but it works(do not want to buy another pack yet).
For me it is to flimsy, tears to easily, and my main issues are the shoulder straps
and hip belts are to narrow, almost cutting.
I also do not care for the very delicate buckles made of plastic,which I am all ways
worried that if I fall against a rock they will crack/break.
I like the fact that it is off my back, but the netting has two holes in it all ready.
It carries well, but I would prefer a little meatier/wider shoulder strap and hip belt like
my old Ghost, which was just right, though smaller.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

oldranger wrote:The pack was returned in perfect shape but a week too late and I still haven't received a credit. I now own 2 Exos 58s. Carrying less than 35 lbs my last two trip was really quite enjoyable. I have one pack set up for day hikes and the other with my cooking stuff for overnighters. So I still have to mix contents of packs for overnighters plus add sleeping bags and pads that are stored uncompressed on top of bunkbed and then add the appropriate tent for the trip.
Yikes! A 58L pack for day hikes?? :eek:
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

maverick wrote:Hi Eric

I also have been carrying one for 2 seasons and unlike Mike am not thrilled with
the pack, but it works(do not want to buy another pack yet).
For me it is to flimsy, tears to easily, and my main issues are the shoulder straps
and hip belts are to narrow, almost cutting.
I also do not care for the very delicate buckles made of plastic,which I am all ways
worried that if I fall against a rock they will crack/break.
I like the fact that it is off my back, but the netting has two holes in it all ready.
It carries well, but I would prefer a little meatier/wider shoulder strap and hip belt like
my old Ghost, which was just right, though smaller.
I've used mine a couple of times now, and I'll agree, you do seem to sacrifice durability for the lighter weight. I like the vertical zip pouches on the outer portion of the pack (think those come standard on most of Osprey's 2010 line, tho). And the top pouch has a pretty nice design. But the flimsy buckles and narrow hip belt aren't to my liking, either. My wife loves the pack, so I'm thinking of just giving it to her (fortunately we're the same frame sizing) and buying an Atmos 50 instead. I doubt the extra 8L will be missed much anyway.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Check out the new Black Diamond Enduro Packs.
There new suspension system looks good, and the weight of the pack is
not bad for the volume, considering it as my next attempt in finding the
perfect pack.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

maverick wrote:Check out the new Black Diamond Enduro Packs.
There new suspension system looks good, and the weight of the pack is
not bad for the volume, considering it as my next attempt in finding the
perfect pack.
BD Enduro? I just went on BD's site and didn't find a pack line by that name. No luck with a Google search, either. :-k
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Enduro Series: Infinity 50/60