Agnew Meadows to TI, Garnet, and Ediza - Route Suggestions??

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JTK555
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Agnew Meadows to TI, Garnet, and Ediza - Route Suggestions??

Post by JTK555 »

Me and some buddies will be backpacking Ansel Adams Wilderness for the first time. This is a 3 night trip, and we'll be spending one night at each of these lakes- TI, Garnet, and Ediza.

In what order would you suggest we visit these 3 lakes, and which trails should we use to and from each one? We would like to keep our hikes as "easy" as possible since this is our first backpacking trip.

We appreciate the help. Thanks!
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Re: Agnew Meadows to TI, Garnet, and Ediza - Route Suggestions??

Post by Ozark Flip »

Going out of Agnew and by Shadow Lake is your closest and "easiest" way to go. Are you sticking to trail? If so, Ediza is an in-and-out destination.

If you are camping one night at each lake I would suggest not camping at Ediza and instead along Shadow Creek on the way up to Ediza. There didn't seem to be many camping spots at Ediza, only a few at the far end of the lake from the trail. As you are hiking up Shadow Creek to Ediza there are great campsites on the right, easy walking distance to the lake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

River Trail to 1000 Is - JMT to Garnet - JMT to Ediza Lake Trail - Shadow Creek
Trail back to Agnew.
As OF mentioned you might want to consider a site near the creek which will
probably give you more solitude than the sites at the far end of the lake.
Be aware that bears are a major problem, especially at 1000 Is Lake,so be
prepared, and keep a clean campsite.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mav has it right...(as usual).
River Trail up,
I like south side (camp closest to Banner side) of 1000 Island Lake,
quick hop over ridge to Garnet, (look at Topo),
Your choice down to Ediza.
Also, better to start Agnew than Reds...saves 6 hot, dusty miles.
Mountainman who swims with trout
JTK555
Topix Novice

Post by JTK555 »

Thanks guys for the advice.

I suppose we will visit TI, Garnet, and Ediza, in that order.

I'll definitely look for the campsites along Shadow Creek. Sounds like a good idea.

Now just wish me luck when I'm fishing! :)
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

I live here. Take the High Trail (PCT). Climb up out of Agnew, then you get to hike a lot of higher up flat type trail with all the wild flowers, and great views across the San Joaquin. After 9 miles you get to hike pretty easy over to 1,000 Island. From there cross over a pretty pass to Garnet. Then another pretty pass on the JMT to the junction with the Ediza Lake Trail. There are campsites there.
After that it is downhill to Shadow.
Nobody in their right mind would go out that hot steep hike up the Shadow Creek trail on their first day if they could avoid it. And the River Trail is down in the trees, often soggy, and full of mosquitos. MHO.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

As others have said, you should definitely cross country over the very easy pass from the southern end of TI to the northern end and inlet of Garnet. It is really easy terrain and will save you a few miles. Once you hit the inlet of Garnet, which is where the best fishing is at this lake, there is a use trail along the northern shore that will take you back to the JMT.

I also agree with camping below Ediza if you care at all about solitude. There are some sites at Ediza, but they are not at all secluded.

My first backpacking trip was to the very same area years ago. The Ritter Range will spoil you as it is really beautiful terrain that is easily accessable. Have fun!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

There's also reasonable x-country travel from Garnet to Ediza, which I found vastly more enjoyable that the dusty JMT. Heresy I know, but the more I do this kind of thing, it amazes me how boring much of the Muir trail really is.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

For reasons hard to explain, I've been to Ediza more than any other destination in my relatively brief hiking experience (all dayhikes however). Yet each time I'm amazed at all of the empty camping spots on the SW corner of the lake, just north of the rock outcropping among the trees. Still great views of the lake, but no one around?

Also, some really nice spots on the use trail above Ediza.

There was one occassion where I happened across a guy and his family and my jaw dropped after seeing the butt-load of supplies they had. I spoke with the guy and he said he was tired of hiking so he figured he'd rather pay a packer to "haul an entire kitchen and bedroom up the trail" then pack it in himself. It was embarrassing to see, didn't know so much could legally be brought in?A full set of cast iron pots and pans, shelves for clothing, 4 or 5 full sized coolers, a laundry line....geez.

That dude aside, I wonder if I'm just passing thru on slow days or if everyone thinks the east side along the trail is the only place to camp?

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Great story -- I particularly like the shelves. Couldn't the packers just have hauled his RV in for him?

Maybe there's something about that area? A couple years ago, on my last day of my "separated shoulder" trip, I passed a campsite a little east of Ediza Lake where someone had obviously hired a packer to bring in a whole grocery store. Only it was worse, because all the food was lying out right in the open, in separate piles, spread out across 10 or 15 feet. There was the oats and granola section, the dried fruit section, the chips and crackers, the cheese and dried meats selection, and so on. All that was missing was the sign "Bear Buffet!" I never did see the buffoons to whom the food belonged. I wonder if the bears left them a tip.