Huge March Roadside Snow Depths

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Huge March Roadside Snow Depths

Post by SSSdave »

In all the years I've been going up into the Sierra during winter, I don't think I've ever seen as much snow now mid March in the lower mountain elevations of the Sierra. I've not been up on but SR88 and SR140 so maybe some others here can chime in on some of the other routes. Its of course due to so many cold storms this March putting snow down at far lower than normal levels. Along SR88, Ham's Station at 5.4k is buried in maybe 3 to 5 feet and there is still quite a lot of snow on the ground up at Pioneer below 3000 feet with piles of snow at even lower shady areas about Pine Grove. And of course up at 8k, there are huge snow banks along the road at Carson Spur though I have seen more snow there midwinter quite a number of times especially during any of the El Nino years like last year. But even in the El Nino years cold late winter snows in March often melt back quickly at lower elevations so don't pile up as much as we are seeing this unusual year. Even Yosemite Valley at 4000 feet is buried like an icebox with snow all around ground areas of the valley loop road all month. When the current storm cycle ends and warm temps and sun come out, that low elevation snow ought to melt pretty quickly and really swell up the big Sierra rivers.

...David
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I was surprised when I got home on Friday that there wasn't more snow further north. I live at 4000' so the worst of the storms must have been a little further south. We haven't had any flooding like I thought we would, usually in a El Nino year, you can count on some flooding up where I live. The usual scenario is a storm will come thru and leave snow, a foot or more then turn warm and rain heavily which melts the snow.

I only had to shovel some heavy snow off my decks yesterday. A week ago there was 15" of snow on my garden area, less now with the rain which turned back to snow. Nice out today.
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I had about 4 feet in my yard last weekend. But just a couple days of sunshine rapidly settled it down to about 2 feet now.

The south facing slopes on the Susanville side of the hill are bare with only a few patches.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Canyon Dam area gets hit pretty good. Nice views from my work area of Jobes Peak by Gardnerville. Lots of snow up there.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Snow level at our condo (8,000’) in Mammoth. Snow is blocking our window

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;