A good packer out of North Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

A good packer out of North Lake

Post by rlown »

Ok. So, we could actually do this trip ourselves up out of North Lake to the Summit. But I was also interested in if anyone knew of a packer in the general area that could hike in most of our cra.. stuff. to the area. It would make our lives easier, given we come from sea level.

I'm looking for packers and prices. PM me if you feel that's better.

Russ
treadwell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: A good packer out of North Lake

Post by treadwell »

I sent you a PM.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Are you only going up to Piute Pass?
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

thanks for the PM, treadwell.

Sierramel, we're going farther than the pass, but the first day assist to that area would be enough. We are going to be up in that area for about 6 days. Once at that altitude, it should be easy enough to go to all the locations we plan under our own power. Mind you, our plan is still to hike it in. I'm just looking at cost/benefit of that first day to see if my party wants to use such a service.

Russ
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Since I don't know what info treadwell gave you I can help out a little (I live here).
Call Rainbow Pack Outfitters (they are out of S. Lake and Bishop Pass) and ask them for the names of the guys at North Lake. The # is 760-873-8877.
What I can tell you for sure is that depending on the # of horses (plus the one the guide is riding) it's probably could cost you a couple of hundred bucks each. It ain't cheap.
If you only go as high a Piute Lake (about 3 miles), there's good camping just right below the pass then an easy up and over into Humphry's Basin. Lots of nice camping lower down to the south side of the Basin once you go east of the big shallow lake west of the pass.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
treadwell
Topix Acquainted

Post by treadwell »

As I recall Golden Trout Lk is about as far as you can go for a one day charge.

Each packer can handle up to five animals. Prices have probably gone up but each packer runs about $250/day plus riding/pack stock at $80-$90 per head/day.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i'm already feeling the hike coming on. hard to sell that in this economy to my friends. We're going lite this time.. :rolleyes:

I know where we have to get to, and we'll camp at the trailhead the night before, to help with what i think is coming. Extra excedrin for all. It's more like 4.2 miles as the crow flies to the pass, but that's with elevation.

Thanks to all who provided info. I'll still call the packers and talk price. still, a hard sell. Might have to ration the peet's coffee. :smirk:

Going fishing on 9/10.. always exciting.

Russ
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Those driving east into Yosemite from Lee Vining tend to drive as fast as they can up the steep grade right past all the magnificent scenery in Lee Vining Creek Canyon while expecting the scenery once they reach the magic boundary of Yosemite to be even better. Not realising the High Sierra type crest scenery east of Tioga Pass is actually easily the most impressive on that highway and what is west of the past will not be anywhere as dramatic. One of the very few places a person limited to roadside views can view such within California. Of course the park boundaries were not layed out with an intent to put all the best scenery in that region inside boundaries but rather was made long ago along watershed and county boundaries of the day.

Humphrey's Basin has been a popular destination for decades. The mindset of most is to hike over the pass during the first day then on the last day hike back over and out. All the time ignoring the chain of 3 lakes and 6 ponds on the NF of Bishop Creek east of the pass. Arguably far more dramatic and interesting Sierra Crest type scenery than one will find west of the pass. And an exceptional place to watch dawn rise over the White Mountains due to its unblocked view east. Although those east of the pass waters tend to get fished more simply because they are within day hiker distances, they are known to have some rather large fish. Thus stopping the first day or on the way out on the last day below Piute Lake is actually a better plan.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

...Oops. Shoulda' previewed that post before I submitted it. I meant to say " a couple of hundred bucks", not, " a couple of hundred bucks each ".
Those folks at North Lake would never get any business if that were true.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

rlown, you can always save a good bit of money by having the pack just carry your gear and drop it for you above the pass. Follow the packer up on foot.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray