Best 5-night backpacking trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giovanni
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Best 5-night backpacking trip?

Post by giovanni »

does the mineral king route involve some x-country? always wanted to hike in mineral king but I'm a strictly on trail guy
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Giovanni

No it does not if you disregard the Spring Lake to Columbine Lake described here
just follow the trail down from Black Rock Pass to Pinto Lake and through Timber
Gap and back to Mineral King parking area.
Here is a shot looking east from Black Rock Pass in which you see the 5 Little Lakes
and a lake from the 5 Five Lakes to the right, also the trail to the left and lower down
in the middle of the photo:
http://maverick.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v4/p33857681-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adornowest
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by adornowest »

maverick, how is it that you are so knowledgeable about all of these trails?! I'm impressed (and jealous!). Thank you so much for sharing all of your expertise with us. We unfortunately don't get to the mountains often, so we are trying our best to make sure we get the right route.

I have one more comparison for you: your MK route or White's Kings-Kaweah Divide Loop?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry, but I do not really follow routes from books, except Phil Arnot's 'High Sierra"
book, which I did a few routes from way back.
I have an idea, but please describe the route.
I have been going to the Sierra since the 70's and have covered quite a few thousand
miles in that time, a lot of it cross country.
adornowest
Topix Acquainted

Post by adornowest »

wow - you must find those of us with our 50 mile journeys pretty laughable!

the loop is lodgepole, cahoon meadow, twin lakes, beville lakes, ranger lake, comanche meadow, sugarloaf meadow, roaring river ranger station, gravesite, upper ranger meadow camp, elizabeth psas, tamarack lake, bearpaw meadow, panther gap. (http://books.google.com/books?id=x9w0TE ... ah&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, pg 177)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No, I find your inquires refreshing, it is good to see people wanting to experience
the wild!
Mineral King!
Lost Lake, Deadman Canyon, Tamarack Lake, would be some of the highlights of that
trip to me, of coarse the scenery, and even though I tout Lost Lake being one of
the prettiest lakes in the Sierra with a trail to it, Mineral King just has to much to offer
in comparison.
cmlamber
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by cmlamber »

This route looks great. Thanks for referring me here Maverick.

Does anyone know how commonly the permit quota is met for the mineral king area?
adornowest
Topix Acquainted

Post by adornowest »

maverick - we voted to go with your route, which means no more questions comparing some other trail to this one. thanks much for your all your help so far.

I have a few more questions about the route:

1. do you have a rough sense of the mileage? I'm guessing it is some where around 40 miles via the timber gap exit? (incidentally, how does one figure out such mileage besides ballparking it from a physical map)?

2. how difficult is the Spring - Cyclamen - Columbine portion? I know you say to keep above Cyclamen on the eastern side. would you say this route is preferable scenically to pinto lake / timber gap?

3. are there any side trips besides those you listed (Amphitheater, Spring) that are worth doing if we have more time?

Thanks again! This has been a tremendous help.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

1. About 37 miles, but who's counting? By adding up the listed milage on the trail map.
The Spring to Columbine Lake route will cut off at least 7 miles.
Timber Gap can have great wildflowers if visited at the right time and year.

2. Not difficult just a little route finding, and yes, the views from the Columbine area
towards the Kaweah's, especially from the small lake north of Columbine are great
and make for a good campsite.

3. Make sure to visit Big Five Lakes, and the lakes near Lake 10410 in the Little Five
Lakes chain.
Also the lakes east of Amphitheater Lake up on the bench make for some good hikes
to explore.
adornowest
Topix Acquainted

Post by adornowest »

We probably would have missed laked 10410 and surroundings. Thanks for the tip.

Is Spring to Columbine class 2? You prefer that route to Glacier Pass?

Thanks again! I think all the details are almost finalized for now.