Backcountry Meeting

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Backcountry Meeting

Post by giantbrookie »

Ozark Flip wrote:My million dollar question, in three days did anyone go to the big round lake north of your camp (between your camp and the pass)?
Right on with the right on,
Flip
See "target lake" in GB account above. Yes, several of us did and this was indeed the main objective of the operation, from a fishing standpoint. I think the place pitched a total no hitter for everyone (certainly me), but I could be wrong.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jaeger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Jaeger »

What a post! Great to see the camaraderie that HST can inspire.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Jaeger wrote:What a post! Great to see the camaraderie that HST can inspire.
Um, It was all Mike's fault, and he did it for himself :rolleyes: . He knew we'd carry in the necessary libations, other stuff.

these are the lures that kicked butt on the trip for me.
lures 002.jpg
All of these caught fish. Two Wyldedge, One Rainbow bodied Roostertail, and my old go-to, the Red body, black blade panther martin.

I didn't resort to fly and bubble. There was really no need.

notice that most of my favorite lures are dressed. I can't explain it, but I have the best luck with those.. As for Z-rays.. I casted my 3/8 oz, and the retrieve speed makes them dart side to side at different rates. These lakes didn't like the jerk in between retrieve. I could see them shy away. A steady retrieve and then a little bit faster made them mad and they hit. It's more about practice and getting a follow. I direct tie my z-rays with a double base loop and the standard 5 twist down through both loops and up the main loop. GB was also throwing 1/4 oz z-rays which were probably a better choice for the lakes we were at.

random thoughts,

Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.