Puttanesca Pesto

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Puttanesca Pesto

Post by TehipiteTom »

Got a request for this recipe from some other HST folks I met (coincidentally) on a trip last weekend, so here goes. I never write down proportions--I just do this by feel--so the amounts listed below are very rough. Best course is just to taste as you go along, and tweak it until the balance is right.
  • Sun-dried tomatoes (in oil, not the dry kind) - ~1/3 of an 8 oz. jar
    Capers - 2 or 3 tablespoons or so
    Oil-cured olives - maybe 8-12, pitted
    Roasted garlic - one head oughta do
    Anchovies - 2 or 3, unless you feel like more
    Red pepper flakes - couple shakes, just enough to give it a little bite
    Olive oil - add as you go along (can't hurt to have an oz or so to add when to the pasta)
Put everything in a food processor and puree the heck out of it. Add olive oil as you go along, to get the right consistency.

In camp, cook up a bunch of pasta and drain. Mix in the puttanesca pesto; if necessary, add a little olive oil to keep it from clumping.

I brought a 4-oz nalgene jar of the stuff, and that seemed to be just about right for 1/2 lb. of capellini. You can scale up or down as necessary.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Puttanesca Pesto

Post by rlown »

Thanks for posting the recipe, Tom. Definitely one of my favorite meals on the trip, and now part of my standard fare.

Russ
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

rlown wrote:Thanks for posting the recipe, Tom. Definitely one of my favorite meals on the trip, and now part of my standard fare.

Russ
Happy to oblige. Glad you enjoyed it!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

And the motley crew feasted on a recipe involving anchovies..? This story keeps getting better, and my respect for its characters is growing. Yum.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix