Road's End Resupply?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Baffman
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Road's End Resupply?

Post by Baffman »

Does anyone know if the Road's End store will do a resupply? I did a search on here, but I didn't find much. I'm planning a non-traditional trip and a resupply there would be about perfect.

Baff
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Road's End Resupply?

Post by AlmostThere »

There's a store at Road's End? All I saw was the wilderness office and a restroom.

Do you mean the one in Cedar Grove at the lodge? I don't know if that's anything more than a gift shop. You might call the lodge and ask.

http://www.sequoia-kingscanyon.com/cedargrovelodge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

You know, I haven't been there in years. I was thinking there was, but I'm sure you're probably right. Thanks for the link.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

I was there a couple of years ago when we did the Rae Lakes loop. To my memory there is nothing at Roads End but parking and a little wilderness permit kiosk.

We stayed at one of the campgrounds at Cedar Grove the night before our trip. Cedar Grove had a place that served burgers and a store next to it. Don't remeber the exact assortment of stuff at the store, I think I just bought a beer and a bag of chips. If you are creative and not to picky about what goes in your resupply I'm sure you could put together what you need from that store though.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Thanks.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

I mailed a resupply package to the Cedar Grove visitor center and it worked out fine. That was a few years ago, however. I called in advance to find out about properly addressing the package, putting the approximate pick-up date on the outside, etc. Also, the store next to the snack shop has minimal supplies for backpackers. It's 6 miles from Roads End to Cedar Grove so when I did the resupply I hiked in early afternoon, picked up my package, ate at the snack shop, and spent the night at Sentinel Campground (it doesn't fill on weeknights and Moraine campground almost never fills up). A very nice backcountry ranger told me with a knowing wink that hitch-hiking is illegal so pay attention when you stick your thumb out. I got a ride at Zumwalt going in from Road's End, but the next morning walked at least three miles before getting a ride.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
plocasio
Topix Newbie

Post by plocasio »

I am planning to resupply at Cedar Grove/Roads End in early August. I've talked with rangers, store and admin. Ship resupply packages to: Cedar Grove (Label: Hold For Thru-Hiker XY; Name trail you are using ), c/o Cedar Grove Rangers, PO Box 926, Kings Canyon National Park, CA 93633. Use mouse proof container. Put expected pickup date and get rid of date on label. Rangers get mail 1-2 times per week so mail in advance. Packages held at Cedar Grove, not TH (6 mile hitch). Cedar Grove Lodge store does not sell HEET or alcohol.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Thanks for this info. I may need it in the future.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Bridge is knocked out and no work is being done on it (Contractors ran out of money) so it's an additional mile or two since you have to stay on the main road until the fork and backtrack towards Cedar Grove.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard