new campfire restrictions in Ansel Adams Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

new campfire restrictions in Ansel Adams Wilderness

Post by SSSdave »

On another current forum thread, someone noted there are new campfire restrictions at Thousand Island Lake. So I just phoned up the Mammoth Visitor Center to find out if that was true and what is forthcoming. Was told YES it is true and that at this point the wilderness permit folks have a new map they were using to advise backcountry users on. For many years I have sometimes brought up the subject providing argumentation for doing so when at the Mammoth VC of lowering the 10,000 foot campfire restriction elevation to that of below the several timberline lake basins in the eastern Ritter Range areas. So this is very good news to me as those areas very much needed that protection. The change shows people in positions of making change are often listening even though one is not aware of it. Just like at Yosemite after I logically argued several times on local web boards to remove the view blocking trees at Tunnel View and Valley View which was finally done a year or two ago.

We have a permit reservation for Beck Lakes early August. After the trip on the roadtrip out, I'll stop in and ask to see the map and will take a quick digital pic then.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Re: new campfire restrictions in Ansel Adams Wilderness

Post by mokelumnekid »

I hear ya SSSDave. A few years back while at TIL, at one point the sunlight angle hit the (north) side of the basin just right, and what I could see in delicate shadow relief (a technique used for finding geological faults called "low sun angle") were what looked like thousands of fossil fire rings- Thousand Fire Ring Lake I now call it. I followed-up by looking more closely and by god the place was covered in them. Most looked pretty old, but still the hard boot-print of a hopefully by-gone day. Good riddance IMHO.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Re: new campfire restrictions in Ansel Adams Wilderness

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Geeez, I haven't had a campfire in years, maybe in as much as 10 years. Not even car camping (by myself anyway). Except in emergencies, who needs 'em? Go to bed when it gets dark, and get up when the sun rises. In the fall, stargaze. Cook over a stove. Done.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;