Rafting/Kayaking in the Sierra ?

A place to discuss any High Sierra adventure sport not covered by the other forums. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, geocashing, cliff jumping, base jumping, 4X4 off-roading...and the list goes on!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Rafting/Kayaking in the Sierra ?

Post by The Other Tom »

Anybody raft or kayak in the Sierra ? I've googled a few sites and Cherry Creek seems pretty good. Anybody done Cherry Creek ?

I'm thinking of putting together a combined hike/raft trip. Any recommendations ?
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I canoe, so here is my list.

Go north a bit.

Lassen Volcanic NP, the northeast corner, is Butte Lake. The only road access is the north end. You can paddle down to the south end (about 1.5 miles or so) and camp. A network of trails to the interior of the Park is accessible from there.

Ahjumawi State Park further north. A unique State Park as there is no public road access -- boat only. The boat-in campground could be a base camp for day hikes.

Or paddle way up the Pit or Squaw Creek arm of Shasta Lake -- past the points where skiing is allowed and the canyons get narrow. Camp and day hike.

The Lakes Basin area on the boundary between Plumas and Tahoe NFs. A chain of numerous small lakes gives some paddle-and-portage possibilities.

Sacramento River from Redding to Red Bluff passes through nice country. Again, camp and day hike.

I haven't tried it, but the Three Lakes area adjacent to Buck Lake Wilderness looks possible.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the input !!
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

Cherry Creek is a seriously serious river. I wouldn't do it personally.

I've done some of the other CA rivers though and can recommend them all. South, Middle and North Forks of the American, Tuolumne, Merced, Cal Salmon, Cache Creek,...

Try the Tuolumne if you want some big fun. Chill out on Cherry Creek if you're not very experienced.

Check out creekin.net and boof.com
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the reply, Norcalhiker.
If we wind up doing Cherry Creek, it will be with a licensed rafting company.
Sierra Ledge Rat
Topix Novice

Post by Sierra Ledge Rat »

Whitewater is the Sierra is legendary. The headwater of the Kern River is an epic class 5 run. Dry Meadow Creek is one of the most spectacular runs in the USA.

Check out American Whitewater for a complete listing of the Sierra creeks and rivers.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rafting/Kayaking in the Sierra ?

Post by hurricaniac »

Upper Cherry Ck. is class 5-6 and a good 6 hr. hike in with boats/gear. This is world-class stuff and requires those skills. The guys who run it paddle 6 days a week.