Difficult Bear Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Difficult Bear Creek

Post by Take-a-Hike »

First of all...this is a follow up post to an earlier one about our aborted July 4 trip from the Bear Diversion Dam to Apollo Lakes area. I am so proud of myself cause I finally figured out how to get some photos on here. Have been successful in the past just uploading from my computer...but only a couple of times...mostly that fails, and I can never figure out what I do differently to get some on but not usually. We started using a Walgreens photo shop site to store photos on and do various things with, and it works to use as a base for uploading here...so I'm excited finally to be able to contribute more than I have.
So, here are a few snap shots of Bear Creek in all its fury. Kept us from crossing....might have been able to if really had to, but all things considered, best to not try. It would have taken more time than the water temp allowed anyway...and legs would have been pretty numb....allowing for less than sure footing among other things.
In any event, it wet the appetite for the August trip through Isberg into Yosemite to hopefully more peaceful streams and warmer lake waters, like Red Devil and the upper Lyell fork of the Merced. And now that I've figured this thing out....more photos too. (Now if I could only expand this subject box so I can view what I'm writing).
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Difficult Bear Creek

Post by DriveFly44 »

Tah, nice pics pal.....that place is on my list. Thanks for sharing and look forward to more this August.

Ladd
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Difficult Bear Creek

Post by EpicSteve »

Nice pics! Thanks for posting. I'll be heading to the upper Lyell Fork of the Merced via Isberg Pass too, on August 27th. I'd say I can't wait, but 5 days from now, I'll be heading out from Sequoia on a 10-day trans-Sierra trip. Can't wait for THAT! :D

BTW, I applaud your judgement. Better to live to hike another day than try to push it with stream crossings!
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti