Tent habits

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tent habits

Post by maverick »

What do you mean by real Q?
I have the Rainbow by Tarptent and have been through some pretty nasty weather.
It weighs in at about 2 lbs, but is very spacious for one person.
I used to carry a pancho/tarp weighing in at 10 oz, but the space was just to tight
when the weather turned nasty, especially when carrying over $13000 worth of
camera equipment.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I have this tent and absolutely love it:

https://www.sierradesigns.com/p-132-light-year-1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I stand a tad over 6' tall and this tent is plenty roomy for me. Its full weight is just about 3 lbs. Not as light as tarptents, but with a full rain fly I think it would be tougher than a tarptent in really bad weather. And if the forecast is for sun, I just leave the fly at home, which puts the weight comparable to the tarptents. And at well under $200, the price was right too!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by adam »

[quote: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/Shopexd.asp?id=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mouse over the tent. 1 lb and 7.00 oz, actually. Slightly more with a Tyvek groundsheet. Still...[/quote]

the same company also sells this:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the haven 2 tarp, which seems to answer my previous question about whether anyone makes a betamid type shelter based on treking poles but without the poles in the middle.

Does anyone have experience using the haven 2? or even seen it in real life?
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Thanks for the recommendations. By "real," I meant what AlmostThere said -- freestanding and rain-proof. Also, easy to set up and no guying needed (e.g., in case there's nothing to secure a guy line to).

I see there is also a Double Rainbow (which sounds like an ice cream chain) Tarp Tent. I do like extra room to keep my backpack and other stuff in the tent. I've had marmots chew on virtually anything I've left outside.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Q

The Rainbow does need sealing, and is partially free standing using hiking poles at
the two ends, but the front, and back of the tent needs to be guyed out, which is
easy with the help of some rocks.
I like the Rainbow compared to the other tents because of all the space to weight
ratio, and it handles extreme weather very well.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

We have something similar to what adam has. Pretty happy with our Sierra Designs Sirius 2.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix