Mt. Kaweah, other excursions from the HST?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Mt. Kaweah, other excursions from the HST?

Post by quentinc »

I'm going to be doing a march on the High Sierra Trail with a group next week. Since this isn't the kind of trip I would normally do, I'm desperate for some off-trail diversions. Nine Lakes Basin looks like one easy side trip. Has anyone done Mt. Kaweah from the HST and, if so, about how long did it take?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt. Kaweah, other excursions from the HST?

Post by maverick »

It will take a few hours since it is still about a 3200 ft climb from the HST, but still
quite easy.
At about the 3.25 mile mark from the Big Arroyo Trail Junction on the HST leave
the trail and head up towards the summit.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

If you have the time you could also swing up towards Lake South America and the upper stretches of the Kern. Beautiful country up there. Nine lakes basin is worth a visit: very easy to get distracted and spend days up there :) Never done Mt. Kaweah, but explored the forests below it near the HST and found the area nicely easy but nicely tedious.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The lakes skirting Chagoopa Creek area cool, but I would love to visit the Red Spur
Creek Lakes, especially the highest ones!
Milestone Creek is great to as is the Upper Kern Basin as Copeg says.
Wright and Wallace Lakes are also worth a visit.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Thanks guys, I know I can always count on you!

Ironically, I was just at Lake South America on Sunday, getting hailed on (I came over from Forester). I would like to explore the lakes around the headwaters of the Kern more -- it looks like a great area from the overlook I climbed up to. Some day I vow to get over Forester Pass in a day, starting from Onion Valley. Each time I get a little closer, so I figure I'll make it by the time I'm 60. :smirk:

This HST trip will involve about 10 miles of hiking a day, so I won't have a huge amount of time to explore anything very far from the trail. Milestone Creek and the Red Spur basin will have to wait for another trip. I wish I could convince this group to cut through Kaweah Basin instead of sticking to the HST, but I suspect some of them will have a hard enough time just hiking on a trail.