Kelty Boat Anchors Die Hard

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Kelty Boat Anchors Die Hard

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I love my Kelty frame. I slip a 1 pound Granite Gear Virga over the frame as if it were a person and have a moderate weight pack and day-pack also. Last year I sewed a ultra-light bag, added light straps and waist belt and now have the total weight to 3.5 pounds. I tested this prototype for 30 days in the Wind Rivers last summer and it worked great. Not bad for a pack that easily carries 50 pounds - not unheard of weight when alpine technical climbing or for 15-day trips. Lean the frame on an ice axe, and I can even have a lounge chair at high altitude! As for the squeaks - at my age the pack drowns out my own squeaky bones.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Say what you want about those old timey packs (and us old timers too), but ours remain in their shrines (the original boxes)out in the garage. In July, 1973, my wife and I each bought an olive green Tioga at the Kelty outlet in Ventura, and immediately drove to Onion Valley for our honeymoon backpack into Rae Lakes and Sixty Lakes Basin. We'll always keep 'em now! :wink:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
CI_Seawolf
Topix Novice

Post by CI_Seawolf »

I bought mine in '78. It is a "smurf blue" critter. Back in the day, I rented several Jansport frame packs. They never fit my slim (back then) hips very well. I'm thinking of pulling the old guy out of the closet to use soon. I found one at a garage sale in Bishop for $5.00 that fits my wife. It looks to be of '80s or 90's vintage. It doesnt have the red metal zippers. What does the modern Backpacker use?
vandman
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by vandman »

I've been through several Kelty's. The classic green one that a girlfriend walked away with, then a big blue Tioga that was stolen out of my parent's garage, and a couple of years ago I bought a newer Tioga on ebay. The newer version isn't as strong or well designed as the older Kelty. The old frames are fantastic. WD has the right idea, use the frame as a base and strap on some lightweight sacks and belts. I love the external frame pack, because I carry a lot of camera gear, and the Kelty frame can support the weight elegantly. Back in the '80's I used to carry a big a 4x5 view camera and heavy Gitzo tripod and all the film holders and big lenses. On one trip I hauled 90+ pounds into the SEKI high country, and the Kelty performed like a champ. I'm on the look out for an older frame, so I can retro fit a minimal sack to this outstanding frame. I'm loving today's lightweight digital cameras! Oh yeah!
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i'm still not sure why you'd replace what the Kelty frame has on it (actual pack). WD, i've seen what you put on, but.. why? Seems like extra work.. I know mine has carried stuff i don't wanna say here, as this isn't a hunting forum. And yes you can press the pack to 80+ and only hurt yourself, not the suspension.

The layout and adjustable nature of the pack lends itself well.

Might just be me..
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I like the concept. I keep everything in stuff sacks anyway, so the side pockets, zippers and plastic buckles just kind of get in the way. What would be really genius is to have a huge Ursack custom made into a mega size stuff sack and then just strap that baby onto a Kelty frame and you're ready for action. Or a barrel sized bear canister custom made to fit onto the frame.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ogg
Topix Novice

Post by ogg »

markskor wrote: Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...Squeak...
My internal frame Granite Gear Nimbus Lattitude actually squeeks far louder than any of my four external frame packs (3 Keltys and a Wilderness Experience). Enough so to be really annoying. I don't use it much for its intended purpose, carrying loads over 30 lbs, as the Kelty external frame packs are so much more comfortable.

The old, green early 70's Kelty that I have much affection for does squeak a bit, but the newer 2008 Kelty Trekker is actually pretty quiet. I tried a out a setup with the old 70's Kelty frame similar to Wandering Daisy's, except I used an OR Drycomp Summit Sack and retrofitted the frame with newer Camptrails belt and shoulder straps The system carried well and weighed only 4 lbs, but the downside was a hole got worn into the summit sack.
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

I thought it might be time I contributed something to this thread. First of all let me say that they will separate me from my frame pack when they pry it from my cold dead ... or some such expression of intransigence. So here it is, front and side views.

The frame is Kelty. The suspension is from Ski Hut. Anyone remember Ski Hut, Berkeley, Palo Alto. It has a mesh back band for coolness and over-the-shoulder straps anchored at the top and bottom of the frame. It's I think they were one of the first with that better style of suspension. The waist belt is fairly recent Kelty, not its first. The sack I first made about late 70's. It's gone through a number of revisions and modifications. What was in my mind back then was expeditionary mountaineering. I had used an REI pack of similar size and design on Denali, and I wanted an improved version of same with better materials. It's basically a big bag. Used to rate size in watermelons, but now I guess it's bear cannisters. I prefer the put it all in one big sack approach to a bunch of busy little divisions with zippers that can fail. Small, often needed stuff goes in outside pockets. Takes a bit of foresight packing--don't put the poncho on the bottom. One nice thing about a frame pack is it's easy to clean up. Over the years, combination of sweat, sunscreen, DEET, and general grunge had built up on the suspension. I took all that stuff off and put it through the washing machine.

I didn't end up doing any more expeditions. I got seduced by photography, which is probably why I am alive today. Pack turned out to be just the thing for hauling a 4x5, lenses, film holders, film and changing bag--the whole castastrophe in addition to the full backpack load. I have mellowed since then and carry a pocket digital--lives in the pocket you can see on the shoulder strap. Now the passion is fly fishing and making bamboo fly rods.

Mike
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Beautiful pack Mike. It brings tears to my eyes.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Very nice, Mike. Glad to see Kelty still in use. Hard to find any external frames actually in the REI store, but they still sell them on their website. as for the zippers.. silicone spray every other year..

I need a shoulder strap camera holder. just couldn't find one. Mine hangs off my belt, and she's a bit floppy.

I agree. Try and pry it from my cold, dead fingers.