Tent habits

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tent habits

Post by riverwalker »

I am an under the stars guy. I just wish I could see them. Without glasses on its all a blur. Many nights I fall asleep with them on and they end up crushed somewhere in my bag.
I did just buy a golite shangrila 2 for when the weather degrades and to help give piece of mind keeping the photo gear a little more dry.
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by calipidder »

You know, i've never really thought about it. I usually sleep in my tent, but I always really enjoy the nights I have spent outside of it. (mind is happily wandering back to the memory of watching a meteor shower at 3 am while sleeping on a boulder near Precipice Lake...) My tent is a tarptent which I strongly prefer - I hate the confined feeling of a 'real' tent. Maybe I should think more about sleeping outside - well, as long as the skeeters and wind aren't too bad. :)
homeranch
Topix Acquainted

Post by homeranch »

Here is what I hate, being in a tent and hearing the crunch of footsteps outside, bear? lion? Charlie Manson? Lizard? squirrel?

In bear country particularly I like to be able to sit up and see who my new friend is.

I feel very insecure inside a tent.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do about half and half, bivy and tent. I use a bivy pre-mosquito season, use the tent most of July, back in bivy for August-mid-Sept, tent after mid-Sept (I have been snowed on!). As tents have become lighter, I have used my bivy a bit less. Many of my trips with a bivy are 10-16 days long. One trip it seriously rained and I spent a day drinking tea on the porch of a backcountry ranger station! I like seeing stars, but I do the bivy primarily for weight savings and the fact that you can sleep almost anywhere you can find a small flat space and there is no set-up hastles. And if you do not like your initial spot, you just pick up and move. I use a basic bivy that weighs a bit over a pound. Personally, I do not like tarps - perhaps because I am so mechanically inept that I never can get them set up (plus I am mostly above timber).
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I love sleeping under the stars also but I get eaten alive by bugs - I am the one in a group that mosquitoes always go after... I usually end up sleeping in the Tarptent . I have had a couple of interesting sleeping-in-the-open experiences that have kind of scarred me - one night I had something the probable size of a raccoon jump on my stomach as I was laying in my bag (heart attack material) and another in which I had my hiking boots dragged away during the night by something. This normally wouldn't have been TOO bad except that I am near-sighted and keep my glasses for safety in one of my boots. Finding them was uh, fun :-)
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I have grown wimpy in my old age.

I used to sleep 'cowboy style' sans tent. Now I prefer a tent.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

balzaccom wrote:We pretty much set up the tent when we arrive at our campsite every afternoon. While I don't mind ( and even enjoy) sleeping out under the stars, my wife likes the privacy and "security" of the tent. It's compromise I am very welling to make, if it encourages her to join me on trip after trip...

And she does.
+1 on all of the above.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I always take the tent to the trail-head. Depending on the weather and my mood, the tent stays or goes. The last couple of trips the tent has gone, even though the weather has been ideal. Its nice to get out of the elements after being in the elements all day, especially the wind.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by riverwalker »

This normally wouldn't have been TOO bad except that I am near-sighted and keep my glasses for safety in one of my boots. Finding them was uh, fun :-)
Nice Cloudy. I can relate.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I nearly always sleep in a tent, more often to keep the bugs off of me (they will always find me, except in the fall) than for anything else. Sometimes the tent helps with wind protection, too, and of course it is a rain shelter. Over the years there have been trips I've slept under the stars, and the majority of such trips were in the fall.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;