Circle of Solitude - Trip Dates?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Circle of Solitude - Trip Dates?

Post by rrivera »

I am planning to do the Circle of Solitude 8/6 - 8/15 but am concerned about the potential conditions at Colby and Forrester Passes. The person I am hiking with has plenty of backpacking experience (level 3 and is comfortable with Class 2 terrain)...I am level 4. My hiking partner wants to have a enjoyable trip and not do too much hiking through snow. I saw the JMT trip report posted yesterday which has made question our dates. I'd like the group's input on if it would be better to postpone this trip or to stick with the dates. Postponing will be tricky because of a number of other trips I have planned but I can figure that out.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Re: Circle of Solitude - Trip Dates?

Post by Mike M. »

Aside from skeeters, you should have no problem on either of these passes. You will undoubtedly encounter some snow up high, but the conditions you read about in the trail report posted yesterday will have changed significantly by early August. Go for it and have a great trip!!

Mike
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry about my ignorance but where exactly is this route? Is this something that is in a particular guidebook or just a "word-of-mouth" route?
rrivera
Topix Acquainted

Post by rrivera »

Hi Wandering Daisy - It's in the Kings Canyon NP hiking guide although I haven't seen much posted on it and we actually just wanted to do a loop that included Cloud Canyon and low and behold found out it had a name :) . There are variations on the route but we are following the standard route that starts at Road's End, goes over Avalance Pass, through Cloud Canyon, over Colby Pass and over to the HST, north over Forester and finally return following Bubb's Creek.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

Nice country: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;