Wilderness permits at Bishop Ranger Station (Inyo NF)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markoboston
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Wilderness permits at Bishop Ranger Station (Inyo NF)

Post by markoboston »

I am hoping to get a Wilderness Permit to hike over Bishop Pass to the Sierra Crest Trail from South Lake near Bishop. This will be for a 6-day backpacking trip. I know I have to be at the ranger station the day before my hike begins at 11:00 a.m. to get a walk-in permit. (Reservations are already full for my planned time period.) I will be flying from Boston to Las Vegas the day before I pick up the permit and then driving to Bishop to spend the night. I will be attempting to pick up the permit on a Saturday morning in order to enter the wilderness Sunday morning. Can anyone tell me how early I need to be in line outside the ranger station on Saturday morning in order to have a good shot at a permit for the next day? I will be hiking solo if that matters. Thanks.
Last edited by markoboston on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness permits at Bishop Ranger Station (Inyo NF)

Post by gregw822 »

For a walk-in permit, you need to be there the same day, not the same day before. Bishop Pass is a popular trailhead, and you're looking for a walk-in permit on a Sunday. If it were me, I would be there at least an hour before the office opens.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes it is very popular, at least a hour before it opens.
markoboston
Topix Novice

Post by markoboston »

Really? The Ranger Station people told me they only issue permits for the following day, starting at 11:00 a.m. I'd be happy to get a permit for the same day. Either way, I will get in line outside the office Saturday morning. If I can start my hike Saturday, all the better. So you don't think I need to be outside the office at 5:00 or 6:00 a.m.? That would be nice. Thanks again.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

markoboston wrote:Really? The Ranger Station people told me they only issue permits for the following day, starting at 11:00 a.m...
That had been the policy unless something has changed the last couple years. The reason they start taking permits for the next day at 11am and not 8am is so the former doesn't get in the way of those receiving their permits for the current day. Of course if all the walk-in permits are not already taken at 8am Saturday, you would be wise to get one instead of waiting and taking a chance. You could call them say at 4:30pm Friday and check if indeed there were still any walk-in permits available for Saturday. Otherwise might arrive at 10am as likely there will not be any line at 11am though such is not a certainty.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Verified!

Post by gregw822 »

It's 11:00 am the day before. That's news to me. I'm glad this came up. I need to pull a walk-in permit myself for an upcoming trip.
markoboston
Topix Novice

Post by markoboston »

Thanks again, guys! Very helpful!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here you go:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... owto.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snowblind
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowblind »

I have had to get a walk-in permit several times before and 1 hr. before opening would not have been sufficient. Often, people are sleeping in the parking lot. As others have mentioned, I thought they gave them out the same day, but it sounds like things have changed. Also, I believe you can get a walk-in permit for Bishop Pass at several ranger stations (e.g., Lee Vining, Mammoth, etc.) so you are possibly competing with others who are not in Bishop.