Any last advice or tips for my 4 day 3 night hike?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Smnold
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Any last advice or tips for my 4 day 3 night hike?

Post by Smnold »

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Forests
- Big Mountain scenery
- Photography
- Fishing

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?

4 days & 3 nights

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?

6-10

Did you prefer a loop or out and back trip?

Loop

Day 1 leaving out of Agnew Meadows July 15th. Heading to Thousand Island lake via the river trail.

Day 2 hiking to Ediza or Iceberg on trails.

Day 3 hiking to Minerate x-country through Cecile Lake.

Day 4 hiking out off the John Muir trail.

Were staying the night before day one in Mammoth. Were planning to utilize the bus to Agnew and back out from near Devils Postpile. Bringing plenty of deet. Renting bear canisters in Mammoth when we pick up our permit on the 14th.

Any must sees in this area?
Any flaws in my route?
Any advice from others who've hiked this area or route?

Question for the photographers. I'm planning to bring my DSLR. Do you think I'd be ok with a single lens like 35-70? Or should I suck up the extra weight and bring the 70-200 for possible wildlife? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Any last advice or tips for my 4 day 3 night hike?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are a couple of routes from Cecile Lake to Minerett Lake. The one described in "Peaks and Passes, Secor", older verison, is not the easiest. I found a pretty good route by leaving Cecile mid shore and heading south then finding a nice little chute southwest that drops to Minerett Lake. First time I went from Minerett Lake to Cecile Lake, I went up the drainage directly, and got into some 3rd class chimney. Later, I talked to an older lady who had backpacked with her 1-yr old kid on her back 30 years prior, and she said there was nothing particularly difficult. So I decided that I simply missed the better route. Second time I went from Minerett Lake to Cecile Lake I found this little chute and was amazed at how easy it was. A small steep section and a few boulders only. I will see if I can dig up an old map and post the route here. It has been a long time ago when I did this, maybe, others have a better route description ( or better memory than me!).
Smnold
Topix Novice

Post by Smnold »

Thanks. I believe I've seen the shoot your talking about with allot of foliage. It's easier to spot coming from Minerate. From Cecile you have to pass the first more difficult rocky/cliff section. If I'm thinking of the same area you are. Probably more option I'm not aware or also.
Smnold
Topix Novice

Post by Smnold »

This looks like the two options I was thinking about.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... B7MHNdrYyo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

You wrote you have a Level 2 experience(backpacking on trail), the Iceberg route is
not for someone without experienced with x-country backpacking, especially
over hard packed snow.
Experience with an ice axe is needed, or you could end up slipping, and falling into
the lake.
Those who have experience can get away with hiking poles, but you need to know how
to use them properly.
Why did you delete the High Trail as your exit route?
The views, and the wild flowers make it a photographers dream come true, should not
be missed, I would even recommend spending a night on the ridge across from the
Minaret Ridge line for sunrise, and sunset photo's.
Why not in to Minaret Lake, Ediza, 1000 Is Lake, and out the High Trail, and add an
extra day to your trip!
If I had only one lens to carry it would be the 24-105, but I take my 17-40, and 100-400
lenses, and all get a lot of usage, though not for wild life.
If you are trying to save weight than pick the lens that covers your most used focal
lengths, for example look at your favorite photo's, and then check there focal lengths
and then pick a zoom that covers those lengths.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Been there, done that a million times. River trail is dull as dirt, down in the trees and full of bugs this time of the year with the runoff. The High Trail has the views for the photographer, and if the timing is right where the trail is out in the sun, the wildflowers should be blasting. Lupins as high as your head.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
Smnold
Topix Novice

Post by Smnold »

Thanks for the responses. Changed the original high trail exit attempting to make the trip more of a loop. Never really thought much about the reverse direction which sounds good. I reserved my permits for entering river trail & exiting John Muir.

Sierramel - curious, if it is "dull as dirt" why do it a million times with so many other hiking options?
Smnold
Topix Novice

Post by Smnold »

Considering it seems like I shouldn't miss the views of the high trail. Maybe ill consider going out via the high trail. I know it will be tougher but I do have my permits reserved already which state us leaving river trail & returning john Muir trail.