suggestions for 3-4 days in mid july?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
miked
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

suggestions for 3-4 days in mid july?

Post by miked »

I'd like to do a trip next weekend or the following weekend. I'm not afraid of walking through some snow, but I am not at all confident enough in my routefinding skills to deal with situations where if it's SO snowy that the trails are difficult to follow. I have backpacking experience doing 3-4 day trips, covering 10 miles a day on some trips (did the grand canyon of the t. river in 3 days last year, for example).

I'd prefer somewhere other than yosemite because I've been there a lot and want to explore a different area. I'd be driving from the bay area, specifically the south bay. I want to stay on trail, but am in excellent shape. a trip around 25-35 miles (little more or less is fine)- just something I could do in 3 or 4 days, covering 7-10 miles per day. Big mountain scenery would be great, lakes would be nice to see as well.

I realize that because of the short notice I'd likely need a walk in permit , but i'll probably only hike with 2 other people so it shouldn't be too bad.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: suggestions for 3-4 days in mid july?

Post by balzaccom »

Check out the Hoover Wilderness---Leavitt Meadows just east of Sonora Pass. WE just did four days up in the West Walker area...terrific trip.

PM for more info.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Two suggestions.

1) Recess Lakes from Rock Creek, over Mono Pass. When I did this trip early season a few years back I hiked in the afternoon on the day I drove and camped at Ruby Lake. Second night at Fourth Recess Lake. Then I day-hiked up to Pioneer Basin and also day-hiked to Third Recess Lake. Came out in one day. Mono Pass has lots of snow on top but the route-finding is obvious. Fourth Recess Lake was my favorite. There is only one stream crossing that required wading. We crossed the outlet of Fourth Recess Lake to camp on the other side, but you do not have to cross. Pioneer Basin is a lot of off-trail travel - pretty easy overall and you can avoid most stream crossings.This is a popular trail, so the main problem may be getting a permit.

2) After the big snow year 1997-98 I did an early-season trip to Summit City Creek from Carson Pass (Mokulmne Wilderness). This is not what I would call "big mountain" country but it is interesting country - actually very wild feeling. From Carson Pass loop first to 4th of July Lake, drop to Summit City Canyon. You could day-hike down river, but the stream is not crossable this time of year so cannot make it all the way to the Mokulmne River. You can loop back up river and intersect the PCT and return to Carson Pass. There were huge avalanche debri fans in the bottom of the canyon. You could also loop this from Blue Lake.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Two suggestions.

2) After the big snow year 1997-98 I did an early-season trip to Summit City Creek from Carson Pass (Mokulmne Wilderness). This is not what I would call "big mountain" country but it is interesting country - actually very wild feeling. From Carson Pass loop first to 4th of July Lake, drop to Summit City Canyon. You could day-hike down river, but the stream is not crossable this time of year so cannot make it all the way to the Mokulmne River. You can loop back up river and intersect the PCT and return to Carson Pass. There were huge avalanche debri fans in the bottom of the canyon. You could also loop this from Blue Lake.
If you go up Summit City Canyon, there's also some history there. I guess there was a little camp about a mile up from the bottom of the descent from 4th of july lk. There's a placard there marking the remnants of the camp (Summit City). Of course, it's under one of those Av debri fans. Also looked like someone lost a herd of cattle up there, as there were bones everywhere. If you look at the map and think of going South towards Horse Canyon, I wouldn't. Even when i was 20, I hated that ascent. The only cool thing about it was the eye rings in the trees as that used to be an area they winched wagons up onto the ridge, on the way to Plasse Trading post.

The up river option is the best, and Upper Blue lake is very fishable. After this winter, I'm betting the avalanche debri is pretty fierce across the trail.

As another suggestion, I would still recommend Emigrant Wilderness, out of Gianelli cabin if the road is open. It's relatively flat and can get you to Wire Lks, Long Lk, and Deer Lk. Per other reports here, I would avoid making the loop back to Crabtree, because of Cherry Crk.
miked
Topix Acquainted

Post by miked »

thanks, wandering daisy. Rock creek sounds like it would be a great trip. I'll keep an eye out for trip reports from that area this week and will make some phone calls to find out about trail conditions.

A friend of mine recommended I also look into thousand island/ediza - would you expect more snow coverage there than at rock creek?

ideally, I'd pack up and leave this upcoming friday, but flexible enough to push it back a week if needed.
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

I'm interested in that Rock Creek/mono pass hike as well. Daisy, any idea what the approximate mileage is from mosquito flat to fourth recess lake?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Trailhead to Ruby Lake : 2 miles + 1050
Ruby Lake to Mono Pass : 1.5 miles, +1000
Mono Pass to Trail Lake : 1.8 miles -900
Trail Lake to Fourht Recess Lake : 1.2 miles -1120
Fourth Recess to first lake in Pioneer Basin -- 1.6 mi +800
first lake in Pioneer Basin to upper lakes -- 3 miles + 600

Mono Pass is 12,500 but the trail is on a south facing rocky slope from Rock Creek
Pioneer Basin is south facing and open - 10,800 feet elevation
Fourth Recess is north facing, 10,100 feet

I did not think the effort to get to Third Lake was worth the effort. Pioneer Basin is a better day trip.
KC4847
Topix Newbie

Post by KC4847 »

A great place to go for mountains and silence is Carson-Iceberg Wilderness. A great loop opportunity is to take the trail up from Pacific Valley over the Bull Run-Henry Peak saddle (stellar views) down to Hiram Meadows. The next day, head north on the Weiser Creek trail and camp below Peep Sight Peak. Plenty of great exploring to do in those environs, like climbing Peep Sight. And, it's an easy out the last day.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I would second your friends recommendation, and head for the Minarets, and push
back your trip by a week.
Go up the Shadow Creek Trail to Lake Ediza, then on to 1000 Is Lake, and out the High
Trail to Agnew.