favorite campsites between reno and mammoth lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
betsylwhs
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

favorite campsites between reno and mammoth lakes

Post by betsylwhs »

I am going on an 8-day hike to the Ansel Adams Wilderness. I'm arriving a day early (into reno) and driving down to mammoth lakes. I'd love opinions on great things to see along the way, and your favorite campground (maybe around lee vining?). I'll have that evening to photo stuff, and the next morning/early afternoon to do a short hike, then off to mammoth lakes to be there circa 3:30 pm. Thanks for your advice!
adam
Topix Acquainted

Re: favorite campsites between reno and mammoth lakes

Post by adam »

A very nice short hike in a typical year is to drive up toward tioga pass from lee vining (hwy 120), but before the pass, across the street from tioga lake, follow a dirt road that traverses north, turning into a trail and heading to shell and fantail lakes and beyond in just a couple easy miles. This year it may still be snowed in-- I have no idea-- but it's a pleasant walk full of water and flowers if it's melted out.

Likewise, a little below that (on warren creek I think, but I'm not sure) there is an old gated road branching off east from 120 that has several plesant walk-in campsites. Again, though, I don't know if it's still snowy up there.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

I think I was mistaken about the campsite on the previous post-- I think it's the one labelled "sawmill" here:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.96139,-11 ... 0Pass%20CA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's off of the saddlebag lake road. I was up there years ago with a friend working at the carnige station further upstream and remember it being nice, but if I were you I guess I'd call the ranger station to make sure it's open and that I didn't re-mis-remember the location!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Just about 1.5 miles in from 395 on the northern June Lake Loop Road is a marked dirt road to the trailhead for drop dead gorgeous Parker Lake. Altho it starts out in hot, steep scrub, the trail climbs into aspens and and eventually eases along side Parker Creek. My absolute favorite short dayhike, especially at dawn on a summer day.
betsylwhs
Topix Newbie

Post by betsylwhs »

I saw a pic of parker lake - O MY! That's def. going to be the plan! How long did it take you (RT?)
thanks for the scoop!
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

3 miles round trip, your time will differ from mine - I am especially slow when it is hot. And Parker Lake is soooo hard to leave! I hope you really enjoy it, its also beautiful in October if you have a chance to come back. And 8 days in the wilderness - have a wonderful and safe trip!
EZHIKER
Topix Novice

Post by EZHIKER »

There's a small primitive free walk-in campground just north, at the southeast Walker Lake, Mono Pass Trailhead (no water). The whole June Lake loop is worth a look.
Buckeye hot springs, north of Bridgeport is a convenient rest stop with developed and dispersed camping nearby. Lee Vining Canyon has some very nice campgrounds and photo ops.