Cottonwood Pass - Soldier Lake - Mitre Basin trip Report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Old_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Cottonwood Pass - Soldier Lake - Mitre Basin trip Report

Post by Old_Hiker »

Hello, I just came back from a 3 day trip to Soldier Lake via Cottonwood Pass trailhead. I spent two nights at soldier Lake, with the 2nd day a dayhike to SkyBlue Lake.
Monday the winds were calm, which meant the mosquitoes were fierce! Had to eat dinner in tent.
The winds pickup enought Tuesday to keep them at bay.
There was a bit of snow at the top of the pass to Mitre Basin, and some snow along the trail to Sky Blue Lake, but not much of a problem. Had to wade across some water along the way to Sky Blue Lake. It was partially frozen over - ~60%, but didn't look that thick and should be clear in a week or so.

Heard coyotoes and Monday night and actually saw one Tuedays at dusk.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cottonwood Pass - Soldier Lake - Mitre Basin trip Report

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the short TR and updates Old_Hiker, any pics?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I'm happy to hear that you had so little problem with the snow but sorry about the skeetrz. How were the temps at night? pretty decent I assume.
Thanks' for the report.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for the report. This next question is very predictable, given the source. Did you happen to bring your fishing gear?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I just got back from a Miter Basin/Mt. Langley trip. Two nights in Miter Basin, and the mosquitoes weren't bad at all (yet)! The weather was perfect too. I'll try to get some pictures together for a separate post.