North Bay to Bishop/LonePine

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

North Bay to Bishop/LonePine

Post by frediver »

What do you consider the best night driving route from the Santa Rosa Area to Bishop/Lone Pine? We will be leaving at 3am.
Google says 120 thru Yosemite is the quickest but I'm not really sure. I wonder if hiway 50 to 395 might be better, less twisty turny , fewer deer I hope?

Thanks
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Bay to Bishop/LonePine

Post by rlown »

I too come from the Santa Rosa area. I used to do 120, but got tired of the west side scenery and the central valley heat.

I now only go 50 to 89, over monitor pass and down 395. The only place i ever have deer encounters is on 50, but that disappears after the summit. If you're leaving at 3am, the deer issue should be reduced as the sun will already be up by the time you get to 50.
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frediver »

Is the 50 to 89 junction clearly marked and the 89 to 395?
How long is the stretch of 89?
What would you peg the drive time at?
Thanks
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

frediver wrote:Is the 50 to 89 junction clearly marked and the 89 to 395?
How long is the stretch of 89?
What would you peg the drive time at?
Thanks
I take lakeville instead of 101/37 and get back on 37 out of Santa Rosa. After you get to the 50 summit, right at the bottom of the hill, 89 is to your right, clearly marked. Stay on 89 all the way past Heenan Lk and over Monitor pass. 89 entagles with 88 for a bit near Markleeville, but it's not hard to follow. It runs right into 395. 89 is actually a very nice road unless you get stuck behind those who cannot drive. :mad:

I'd guess 6.5 hrs from petaluma to Bishop, depending on traffic, stops, deer, etc.