Backpacking trip advice in mammoth, CA near agnew meadows

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
imnold23
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Backpacking trip advice in mammoth, CA near agnew meadows

Post by imnold23 »

So me and my friends are trying to plan a backpacking trip in mammoth near Agnew Meadows. We have very minimal experience in backpacking however we do camp frequently and have been on a few day hikes. We are all in fairly good shape and willing to go on just about any type of trail. Our main interest is the scenery, the adventurous type of hikes and we like the river crossings as well. Our current idea of a route was starting in Agnew meadows then heading to Ediza Lake and staying there for the night but making a short trip to iceberg lake that same day. Then we would head to thousand island lake stopping at garnet lake along the way to see the sights. After camping the night at thousand island lake we would then head back to agnew meadows along the high trail. I do not really know the area to well but I have done some research on these areas and have been looking around at other peoples hikes through this area. If anyone could help me with a route/trail that could take to the places stated that would be of great help and also on any other advice on backpacking through this region in general and the permits required. We would like to do this trip sometime in mid July if possible.

Thanks,
Imnold23
David and Karen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking trip advice in mammoth, CA near agnew meadows

Post by David and Karen »

There is a popular high route that links Minaret Lake with Ediza but the really late snowpack this year means Iceberg et al will likely still be frozen even in two weeks time(mid-July) AFAIK Ediza, Garnet & Thousand Island lakes could still have ice in them too - it has been impossible to get current information about this area as the road only opened up a few days ago.

Since there is a mandatory shuttle you don't have start & end at the same trailhead. Permits are a non-issue mid-week (you still need them but shouldn't have any trouble getting them) - reservations are $5 a person
Karen's Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48937858@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zenfolio site: http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking trip advice in mammoth, CA near agnew meadows

Post by rlown »

other than the dog references which don't seem to apply to you, this thread at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5080&hilit=1000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some great info in it. Your lake selection seems to indicate which trails you've picked. From your basic plan, I think the path is obvious. Is there something else you're looking for?

oh yeah, expect skeeters.. :\

you can deal with permits at: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... sres.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;