East Lake and Reflection Lake via Bubbs Creek Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
taktical
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

East Lake and Reflection Lake via Bubbs Creek Trail

Post by taktical »

Hello,
Does anyone happen to have any updated trail condition information more recent than what is supplied on the SEKI website? I am planning a backpacking trip starting the 4th of July weekend to East Lake and Reflection Lake in Kings Canyon via the Bubbs Creek Trail from Roads End. Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Tak
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Re: East Lake and Reflection Lake via Bubbs Creek Trail

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

The major problem this time of year is getting across Bubbs Creek. And if it has been a particularly wet year...
There may be issues of snow on the north slopes too, for sure getting to Reflection Lake, tho it should be nice and consolidated. Bubbs Creek will be the big deal.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

When I did that hike five years ago, I had to ford Bubbs creek which was knee deep, cold, very swift, and twenty feet wide in a relatively dry year in late July. I nearly slipped a couple of times mainly due to the swiftness of the water over the slick stones. Maybe I did not find the optimal way across, but that was right at the standard trail ford right next to where East creek comes in.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

When I attempted the ford last (almost ten years ago) in late July, it was about waist deep (the only way I actually knew that was seeing two other hikers attempting the ford on my way out). I ended up crossing about 0.25-0.5 miles downstream in a meadow where the creek widens. It was some nice bushwacking on the other side, but much safer in my opinion. That area though, along east creek and up to Reflection, is gorgeous terrain.
taktical
Topix Novice

Post by taktical »

Thanks everyone for your input! I am concerned about the crossings and will stay in touch with the folks at SEKI this week to get updated reports on the trail and crossings. Considering the snow pack this year, it's probably a bit too early to do this hike...
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with you that it's too early. Remember if you stay alive you get to do lots more trips. If you die trying to cross the creek, you don't. This, coming from a person (me) who took way to many risks in the backcountry, but none as dangerous as crossing that creek now.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

This year getting across Bubb's will be very difficult and dangerous.
Drowning is the number one cause of death in the park!
Even if it was not a higher than average snow year it would take a good deal of
scouting to find a safe crossing.
Reschedule your trip!
taktical
Topix Novice

Post by taktical »

Thanks everyone for your good advice. I can't seem to get any new information from SEKI, thus, I'm now looking for alternate BP trips in SEKI. Thinking of Seville Lake for now. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

I'm thinking not, but does anyone know if SEKI may allow me to transfer my current permit to another TH start for the same day?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I recently talked to rangers in SEKI - they said snow in Junction meadow was closing the Bubbs trail, a couple weeks ago when I headed up to Mist Falls and Paradise Valley on a dayhike. Backpackers coming down after an attempt on Rae Lakes Loop said that the snow on the JMT was five feet deep and slushy to the point that some were wading through instead of postholing. The river itself was swollen and whole fir trees were floating down to catch in the huge logjam at the south end of PV. The runoff is continuing at high rates and while the snow is likely dropping by leaps and bounds, it's crazy out there with the water.

I think the rangers would let you switch if there were available slots on the TH you want - they tend to do that in Yosemite anyway, have not tried to switch in SEKI, keep us posted if they do or don't - would be handy to know.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

taktical

Bad news good news. Bad news first--since seville/ranger lakes are one of the few really nice areas that will be open there will be a bunch of people interested in going to the area. Good news there are two entrances that can work for that area--Belle Canyon and Sugarloaf. Get to Grant Grove today or early Tomorrow to get your permit and you won't have a problem!

Have fun!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!