Is crossing the little kern safe at forks of kern in late Ju

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ddub123
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Is crossing the little kern safe at forks of kern in late Ju

Post by ddub123 »

Some buddies and I are wanting to backpack up the kern river starting from the forks of the kern trail head in the next week. Just wondering if it will be possible (and reasonably safe) to cross the little kern. We are all carrying full packs for a 3-4 day trip.

I know this isn't the fishing forum, but if anyone knows if its even worth while trying to fish the upper kern right now, it would be greatly appreciated.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Re: Is crossing the little kern safe at forks of kern in late Ju

Post by tomcat_rc »

I would be interested in any trip report. We are supposed to be up there in 2.5 weeks including crossing the FOK. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know 2 weeks ago - the crossing was well beyond my safety comfort level.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
ddub123
Topix Newbie

Post by ddub123 »

If we decide to hike down to evaluate, I will make sure to post my observations.
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

This year the guys on the Kern flyfishing website are reporting it as a treacherous crossing. I actually don't know how to interpret that since a lot of we fly guys are weenies. However, here's the address for their website. They are pretty friendly with info unless you ask about their "honey" spots.

http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most years it isn't bad the nearer to July that you get. This year a lot of people have been bypassing the Forks by starting at Jackass Flats.

Good luck.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Trying to wade across the LK this year in June, and maybe in July would be extremely dangerous. I have crossed the LK many many times in various conditions. There is a way to cross it in high water. The uppermost place where you can easily walk from the crossing on the east side is where you go. I have done it the following way two times in very high water. At the above mentioned place you can swim across. Your partner then throws you nylon cord to the east side. You then tie the cord to your rubber raft. Ferry the pack across once per pack back and forth. Then ferry the your partner(s) one at a time. The return is done the same way. I know this sounds a little extreme but to me waaay better than "death marches" that I've read about here to which no one takes exception. I write this, of course, with a smile on my face. This is fun. I am, however, entirely serious about crossing the LK.