Parker Lake, Little lakes Valley, Gaylor lakes.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
desert rat
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Parker Lake, Little lakes Valley, Gaylor lakes.

Post by desert rat »

Hiya all,

newbie here... Had a few questions for the group. I am heading to the Sierra for 5 days around jluy 4th. Wanted to know conditions for these three areas.

Had planned on hiking Little lakes valley finally this year but from what I can see it sounds snow covered? Do i need snow shoes? Flooded?

Also wanted to finally make it to Gaylor lakes at Tioga pass station in Yosemite but this sounds snow covered as well again this year?

Finally, heard about Parker Lake near Grant Lake and wanted to give it a a tray as well this year... How are the conditions there as well as the other two locations.
EZHIKER
Topix Novice

Re: Parker Lake, Little lakes Valley, Gaylor lakes.

Post by EZHIKER »

I can't imagine any snow at Parker 7,500ft, but I fish this lake 1-2 times each year. The upper reaches of Rock Creek will be holding snow but even then you probably would not want anything more than some boots, in-step crampons and trekking poles. Something lower along Rock Creek like the trail into Davis and the Hilton Lakes could be clear or just patchy by then.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I got back from Hilton Lakes last Sunday and the trail is clear to the lower lakes. A few small patches of snow but nothing to worry about. The trail up to lake #3 was covered with snow and somewhat of a hassle. Beyond lake #3 there was a lot of snow and the upper lakes were stil partially frozen.

We didn't go up to LLV but I know that the snow is melting pretty fast up that way. Three weeks ago we had to park at the upper corral next to the lake and hike to Mosquito Flats because the road had yet to be cleared of snow, we put snowshoes on to go beyond the flats. The road is open now and I think the trail is in OK shape for a fair ways into LLV.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
desert rat
Topix Newbie

Post by desert rat »

thanks for the info... Hopefully the snow is somewhat melted up higher for the trail access...