Bad taste from plastic bags

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Bad taste from plastic bags

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been repacking my food in plastic bags for ages. The last few years I have noticed a distinct palstic flavor in food that remains unused for a month or more. Yesterday I munched on some leftover almonds from my last backpack trip and then some from the original package. The ones in the plastic bag were strongly plastic tasting. I swear that plastic bags have changed in the last two years. I never noticed this before. I am now using sandwich size zip locks instead of regular 1-gal size plastic bags - is this the problem? So what is the solution? Last year I thought I would be cleaver and lined the bags in waxed paper. It was a failure - the food did not pour out well and it still picked up the pastic taste. Do you think the brand matters? What have others done? I did read on the internet that if left in sun, plastic bags will gas-off chemicals. But I never left any of the backpack food in the sun.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bad taste from plastic bags

Post by rlown »

I do quart-sized freezer ziplock-brand bags; generally, i don't get the plastic taste, but then i don't store stuff in them for a long period of time. The monthlong storage might be your issue, depending on how you store it. I lay out what i'm taking the day before i leave, pack it in the smaller bags, and go, avoiding heat as much as possible. I prefer the quart-sized ziplocks because i can adjust them in the bear can more easily.

A month or more wouldn't be good to me, unless frozen or kept really cool. My M&M's are kind of the keystone marker if the repackaged food get's too warm.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bad taste from plastic bags

Post by maverick »

I also use the freezer zip lock bags and have never had a problem, plus all I have
to do is add boiling water to them, and eat right out of them with no dishwashing
needed afterwards.
As Rlown mentioned you should store them in a cool place, and if you want to store
freeze dried meals for loner periods than freeze them.