Emergency Contact Number

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Emergency Contact Number

Post by dave54 »

rlown wrote:...Some of this is so obviously in need of standardization, it's not funny, whether State, Fed, or NPS (special fed). Thats like, what, 4 conference calls between orgs? :\
It has been highly standardized. Most of the NF dispatch offices in California are now joint interagency with all the local fire, state fire, and EMS.

By law, the sheriff office is responsible for SAR on NF and BLM lands, but if the lost party is in a remote area of the national forest the first call they make is to the USFS for help. During the winter, the FS has more snowmobiles and snow cats than a rural sheriff dept can muster. The FS has a warehouse full of topo maps and gear, has people that know the backcountry conditions and road system better than the patrol deputies, and a radio system that covers the backcountry better than the sheriff comm system. So the sheriff is the lead agency, but people in many different uniforms could be out searching.

Use the coordinate system you have if you don't know the lat long. The dispatch centers have the software on their consoles that convert one to other with a click of the mouse. PLSS, UTM, aircraft VOR, or even road paddle markers, doesn't matter. The positional difference between NAD27 and NAD83 is about 80 meters around here, close enough that searchers could find you. The difference between NAD83 and WGS84 is roughly the width of your boot, so for all practical purposes consider them interchangeable.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by EpicSteve »

Wow, great info! To everyone who has contributed to this thread: thank you very much!
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

So, I did submit feedback, and here's what I got from Inyo:
Dear Russell,
If a person in the wilderness is reporting the emergency they should call 911 and explain they need search and rescue (SAR) for a remote emergency. Be prepared to identify the county you are in and nearest town.

If a family member needs to initiate a search and rescue or is reporting an overdue party, they should call the county sheriff office with jurisdiction for the area where the emergency is.
The Wilderness Permit Office staff can assist you with identifying which county or counties your trip is visiting. We can also provide the sheriff's phone number for the various Inyo trailheads. There is not just one sheriff's number to call because Inyo National Forest extends across multiple state and county jurisdictions.

Piute Pass trailhead is in Inyo County, California, Bishop area, and the phone for Sheriff SAR is 760-873-7887. If you cross over Piute Pass you are entering Fresno County. If you cross into Kings Canyon National Park, just south of Piute Pass, the park would have jurisdiction for SAR. Many trips will travel through several areas of jurisdiction. There is not a single website with all search and rescue contact information.
This is what i meant by standardization. How will my spouse know which county i'm in when i go missing? And I'm pretty sure my cell (which i don't carry in the backcountry) will be unreliable. They're still gonna have to wake up the permit station to try and figure out my itinerary.

I was impressed that they got back to me quickly, but still.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

rlown wrote: SNIP
This is what i meant by standardization. How will my spouse know which county i'm in when i go missing? And I'm pretty sure my cell (which i don't carry in the backcountry) will be unreliable. They're still gonna have to wake up the permit station to try and figure out my itinerary.
I was impressed that they got back to me quickly, but still.
There should be little problem in calling your local SO (Sheriff's Office) and explaining the situation. They should be able to sort out the correct county and start the ball rolling. The one time I carried a cell phone, I couldn't get any reception but it really came in handy when I decided to change my itinerary and continue across the Sierra to Lone PIne rather than completing a loop trip. I needed it in town to scare up a ride home!

Alan