Advice: Second attempt to Garnet/1000 Island on 6/24-6/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice: Second attempt to Garnet/1000 Island on 6/24-6/27

Post by cahiker »

Mosquitoes find me delicious, and 30% Deet is sufficient for me. In addition to the Deet I recommend bringing a headnet to wear over a hat with a brim or bill and a loose fitting long sleeve shirt and pants. Mosquitoes will bite through snug fitting stretchy synthetic shirts.

I was in that area for 5 days at the end of June last year. We started from the Rush Creek trailhead and didn't see any mosquitoes until we got to the top of the climb and started heading into the forest towards Gem Lake. From that point on they were with us constantly and in large numbers. It wasn't bad when we were hiking, but as soon as we stopped they'd swarm us so we immediately set up the tent and dove in. We'd go outside to cook, then eat in the tent. One afternoon out of boredom I tried to photograph all the mosquitoes sitting on the outside of the mesh part of the tent looking hungrily in at me. The autofocus didn't cooperate most of the time though. Finding breezy areas away from water helped a bit, but they were still bad.

This year will be different with the late winter, so maybe you'll get lucky with the bloodsuckers. The whole area is gorgeous so the trip will still be great if you're prepared. If you liked Gem Lake you'll find the rest of the scenery amazing.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

cahiker, you sound maybe like alot of people I've met that really haven't figured out a strong system during bug season. We are out during squeeter season each summer and though they are at times numerous, we get few bites even when laying about in camp. With 100% DEET applied they simply do not land on my face or hands which is our only flesh showing, and the rest of our clothing and headgear is totally squeeter proof so if 100 are crawling about on one pant leg, it means nothing. Still their whining and buzzing about one's head can be quite annoying. About the only times I usually get bit is after washing our face or hands before apply new DEET or after jumping in some water at the end of day to get clean for the night and getting back covered up.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

pardon me if this is insultingly obvious, but do you have waterproof boots and gaiters--and ski or trekking poles? I ask only because growing up in CA, I always considered these pieces of equipment "extreme"-- jeans and lightweight boots worked just fine for me-- and as a result, considered hiking in spring (or summer) snow "extreme" as well. It wasn't until living in WA and hiking the cascades that I realized that with a little bit better equipment, the snow could be your friend.

Regarding the previous posts, as beautiful as 1000 island lake is, you'd be crazy to consider going up there and missing out on ediza, even if it is covered by snow.
Matilda
Topix Acquainted

Post by Matilda »

ddduong wrote:I did not get the permit yet, wanted to gather as much information as I could on the conditions up there. Last I checked those dates were still open for reservations, but we'll be there very early morning so we'll be able to get a walk-in.

We wanted to go the Rush Creek ascent mainly because we didn't complete our ascent to 1000 Island last time and a friend will be coming from the Sacramento area. With all the reading I've been doing and your suggestion, I've now decided it'd be best to go through Agnew Meadows this time. I think we'll be taking the reverse route that maverick recommended, taking the high trail to 1000 Island with the Ediza leg being optional depending on the conditions and how we feel at the time.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it up to the Sierras regularly after a few trips, so all the info from these forums and its members are great.
I also urge you to postpone your trip--I live in the Eastern Sierra high country and there is still a ton of snow about 9,000 feet. Because of a cold, snowy spring, the big thaw just hasn't happened and you will be traveling on solid snow in late June.
Friendly suggestion for you and anyone interested in learning more about the Sierra and in helping take care of places you love: Friends of the Inyo, a local conservation group in Bishop, is leading a volunteer vacation to the Thousand Island Lake area the first week of August. Get packed in, do some trail work and habitat restoration, have plenty of time off to play, all in a small group with an experienced, local guide. Get details here: http://friendsoftheinyo.org/foi/node/722
EZHIKER
Topix Novice

Post by EZHIKER »

I recommend the high trail out of Agnew Meadows. Check with the Mammoth Lakes visitor center to make sure the road is open, I know they have started to plow. The snow is melting rapidly and the trail should be just fine by your travel date.
Jedi5150
Topix Novice

Post by Jedi5150 »

EZHIKER wrote:I recommend the high trail out of Agnew Meadows. Check with the Mammoth Lakes visitor center to make sure the road is open, I know they have started to plow. The snow is melting rapidly and the trail should be just fine by your travel date.

I just got back from Mammoth this morning. People are still skiing there and the road to Postpile/ Agnew Meadows is still closed and aparently in need of repairs.