Reds Meadow to Yosemite Valley trip plan

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
snusmumriken
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Reds Meadow to Yosemite Valley trip plan

Post by snusmumriken »

Random thoughts and suggestions:
1. They want you to take the shuttle rather than drive in to Reds Meadow - park at the top where the ski lifts are, this is also where the YARTS bus from Yosemite ends.
2. The free hotspring showers at Reds are legendary.
3. The first part of your trip up until Shadow Lake is pure drudgery in my opinion, no matter which route you go. Take the quickest way there, hence the suggestion to take the shuttle a couple of stops and start the hike at Agnew Meadows.
4. Ediza, Garnet and Thousand Island are definitely worth lingering at for a day, a week or a lifetime. Yosemite is beautiful, but not equal to this area. If you need a day to slow down and adjust to altitude this is the place to do it.
5. Skip Gem lake, nothing special, definitely not worth the detour.
6. After you've gone over Donahue you'll pass a couple of tarns, then there is a creek crossing close to a waterfall. Beautiful camping here.
7. There is a lot to walk around and see around Tuolomne Meadows. If you stop here for the night you could eat at the grill, restock at the store and camp at the backpackers camp ($5 per person fee - no reservations needed or taken.)
8. The High Sierra camps only serve breakfast and dinner and only sell meals to backpackers if they have fewer guests than they have planned for, so its a hit and miss thing, but worth stopping in and asking about if you happen to pass by around dinner time.
9. If you want to do Clouds Rest, take the route that diverges from the JMT at the Sunrise camp and goes past Sunrise lakes. Middle Sunrise lake is fabulous camp spot.
10. You won't be alone on Half Dome, no matter what the hour, but the line at the bottom of the cables will be shorter if you get there on the early side.
11. Enjoy.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Very good points.

David, it isn't too bad at TM campground, you are thinking too much of what it may be like back east I think.
Piece of cake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Be aware that the NPS is currently restricting climbs of Half Dome on weekends. A temporary rule is in effect that requires a specific permit to climb Half Dome on Fri-Sun. So when you get your permit, be sure to specifically request whatever paperwork you need to climb Half Dome. Rather than carry your pack over Cloud's Rest, it may be easier to set up camp near the trail junction and just quickly hike up Clouds Rest in the afternoon.

To be totally legal and use the backpackers campgrounds (one at Tuolumne and one in Valley) you have to permit two specific trips - trip 1 Reds Meadow to Tuolumne. Trip 2 Tuolumne to Valley. If you spend one night out of the wilderness area (in Tuolumne) it is not considered one trip.

I prefer the River Trail to the high trail to Shadow Lake. I think the river is quite pretty.

I did not like the campground at Sunrise Camp. The sites are over-used, dusty and crowded. I see no reason to stay at these campsites unless you are having dinner or breakfast at the camps. There are lots of other better sites nearby.

I would take the Mist Trail from the top of Nevada Falls to the Valley, not the John Muir Trail. It is about a mile shorter and very spectacular - gets you up close and personal with Vernal Falls - I just love to get soaked by the spray! There are lots of rock steps - no problem - just go slow. Trekking poles help. I have been up and down the Mist trail with light to heavy packs. Do not let anyone tell you that it is not "backpackable". If you have time, drive up to Glacier Point. The best sunset view of the valley is from the Wawona Tunnel parking area (called Inspiration Point).
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Be aware that the NPS is currently restricting climbs of Half Dome on weekends. A temporary rule is in effect that requires a specific permit to climb Half Dome on Fri-Sun. So when you get your permit, be sure to specifically request whatever paperwork you need to climb Half Dome.
Thanks for the reminder. I had read about that but we hit Half Dome on a Tuesday. I believe our permit would have been good for HD on any day but I didn't read that closely since I knew we would be there on a weekday.
Wandering Daisy wrote:I would take the Mist Trail from the top of Nevada Falls to the Valley, not the John Muir Trail. It is about a mile shorter and very spectacular - gets you up close and personal with Vernal Falls - I just love to get soaked by the spray! There are lots of rock steps - no problem - just go slow. Trekking poles help. I have been up and down the Mist trail with light to heavy packs. Do not let anyone tell you that it is not "backpackable".
Would the Mist Trail or JMT be better for photography after Nevada Falls?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Thoughts:
Waugh Lake – Last season they were doing work on the dam (finished?) and lowered the water…looks nice from the trail but it is a muddy bog – Avoid! I would stay at 1000 Island a night, or maybe small lake near Island Pass.

Two places to camp over Donahue. Small green tarn ~1 ½ miles Tuolumne side or Twin Bridges – a mile further and down another 1000’.

Since Rangers do not check Permits at Tuolumne BP camp, staying over a night – fruit, burgers, and soft ice cream…still all one permit.

You cannot camp atop Clouds Rest anymore – (Why you ask?) - Have to camp 100 feet off trail and the knife-edge trail bisects the summit block – thus no camping there (legally). Many still do – plenty of room for 8. That being said, after an hour or so on CR, head down the regular South trail towards HD. About 1 ½ miles (maybe 2 ) down and having lost ~1000 feet elevation, right on the trail, there is a small but year-round artesian spring popping out, (cannot miss it – even marked on 7.5 series maps) - and a few truly great places to camp nearby, under large Ponderosas . You will not see anyone else and the views are spectacular.

Or,
about 2 miles farther, after you hit the HD trail junction and made the right (still ~2 miles to HD cables), there is another artesian spring about ¼ mile after the junction…also ample and good water…it is behind a large fallen log…stay alert and you should not miss it… or ask everyone coming down where it is, remember, only ~1/4 mile after you are on HD trail.
An early morning start from there, (without packs) will get you to the cables before all the LYV folk, having the Dome to yourself.
After the Dome, back to your packs and continue through LYV and down.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

2 weeks til we start this trip....really pumped.

I've decided to drive from Illinois instead of flying. Will leave 5 days before the backpacking segment and plan on stopping at Arches, Bryce Canyon, and Death Valley on the way out.

I won't be able to hike much on the way out so most of the sightseeing will be from a car.

Any other suggestions on for must-sees on the way out (I70) or the way back thru Salt Lake (I80)?