Tuolumne Meadows Resupply

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Tuolumne Meadows Resupply

Post by ChinMusic »

We will be starting at Reds Meadow, taking our time, and getting to Tuolumne early on Day 5.

1. Will we be able to resupply food for the next 2.5 days to Yosemite Valley?

2. If yes, what do they have?

3. What does the "grill" offer? Any "must eats"?

4. Will I be able to use an electic outlet to recharge my camera batteries before we move on?
paul
Topix Expert

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Resupply

Post by paul »

1. Yes. you can either buy food there or mail a package to the post office there.
2. Usual freeze dried stuff and various grocery store items.
3. Decent burgers, pancakes in the morning, and the must have - softie cones, baby!
4. I don't think so.

also see:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/jmt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scroll down to "Food Caches"
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

Thanks Paul

I'm not much for mail drops and avoid them. I prefer to buy on site. Our group wanted to mail drop til I realized that we would be going through on a Sunday. Glad to hear that the supplies are good.

A burger, or 3, and a cone are now on my list.

There has to be an outlet somewhere, doesn't there? I'm picturing this place as like a mini town.

I'm taking a bunch of batteries with me but DO plan on taking a lot of stills, vids, and time lapse (the real battery eater). I'd hate to run out before Half Dome.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

There is also a hiker box in the store - ask the clerk. Hikers dump stuff in there they are tired of, leave something you don't want and take something interesting.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Hey David, no minitown, just a few buildings. Glad you found HST. You can still ship stuff to my moms.
Piece of cake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a small store over by the gas station. You may be able to charm the staff into plugging in your charger, particularly if you buy something. By the way, there used to be free coffee (if you are brazen enough to just walk in the dining hall) and showers (for a nominal price) at the lodge (about quarter mile from the Wilderness Kiosk). I cannot remember if any bathrooms have plug-ins. You could call the gas station, store and lodge and ask. Bribes directly to individual staff may work - "here is $5 if you can plug in my battery". There also is a small visitor's center. There may be an obscure plug-in there.
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

Thanks for all the replies. We were gonna stay at Tuolumne on night 5 but decided it would be better to move on.

I'll start another thread about our trip plans.