Edyth Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Edyth Lake

Post by Cross Country »

In regards to Edith as an adventure, it is to some degree, but I wouldn't exaggerate this. I consider Giantbrookies comments on this web site to be one of the best if not the best. However, John, it is as though you haven't read my entries, and I'm sure you have. Not only because of your (John) entries, but others too I have to conclude one of two things. Backpackers want to discourage others from going there or few read my entry about the best route. It's here (above) for the reading. The second time I hiked out from Edyth (Edith) I ducked the route. After that it was a matter of following it in. I took a 12 year old there who had never been BP. He had no problems (a 12 year old!). How hard could it have been (I hadn't been there in 8 years)? In regards to the comments by Clyde Wahrhaftig remember this. It never matters who says the truth it only matters that it is the truth (or not). Always think for yourself. Question authority.
For me, Edith was usually nothing more than a good early season trip for the year (not to hard and not to easy). I never considered myself to be a stud hiker nor an expert. Death marches were beyond my capabilities.
I went in a difficult route (to Edyth) once and it was really bad, but apart from that I think Edith has gotten a bad rap.