2010 Skeeter Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by copeg »

Post your updates about mosquito activity where you recently visited for others. The scale from previous years has worked out perfectly, so I guess we'll keep using it:

1-no mosquitos or there are some, but not biting yet
2-very light during the day, moderate at dawn and dusk
3-moderate during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
4-heavy during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
5-unbearable all day, no breaks, cannot eat outside of tent, if you stopped hundreds
will land on you, when looking thru a camera viewfinder you see more skeetrz than
lake, if you slapped your arm you'd smear blood all over your arm from the dead skeetrz
copeg

Re: 2010 Skeeter Updates

Post by copeg »

Little Lakes Valley - weekend of 6/5: 1 None during the day, but a few large ones emerged at dusk trying to catch a meal. LOTS of standing water, so you can expect this area to get pretty vicious fairly soon.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailguru »

Yosemite Valley to Merced Lake: 2/5 There were a few and me and a few friends got bitten when we were in the area around Memorial Day weekend.
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Post by EpicSteve »

Shuteye Pass, 06/05/10 (near Mile High Vista on the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway)... 1: I saw a couple of skeeters and one of them buzzed my ear, but I never got bitten.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
bigd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bigd »

Hiking and camping around June Lake and Mono Lake. 2 out of 5 starting Tue June 8th...nothing before. Also, snow was solid above 9200 feet in forested north facing slopes.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Jennie Lake from Stony Creek trailhead, Jennie Lakes Wilderness, 6/11 - MAR 1. No mosquitoes seen, but lots of snow still above 8000 feet.
Bill Markwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bill Markwood »

camping on Robinson Creek out of Bridgeport. No mosquitos
Last edited by Bill Markwood on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yosemite Valley, no mosquitoes to speak of. A few in spots at dusk.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

A few skits both on the 4 mile trail and Yosemite Falls trail. Got one bite on my face. Not bad in the campground, but I believe they will appear soon! Especially near Swinging Bridge and the chapel.
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Post by EpicSteve »

June 12th & 13th, Ostrander Lake, off the Glacier Point road. 1 out of 5. Didn't see a single mosquito. Received two little bites on the back of my legs from a tiny fly of some kind. Didn't leave a mark or itchiness. Just a sharp little pain for a second.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti