Bishop Pass walk-in permit

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bishop Pass walk-in permit

Post by gregw822 »

I'm doing a trip with three friends, and we have a tight schedule. We have to take off over Bishop Pass on Monday 7-26 to do Sierra South 47, South Lake to Palisade Basin. We missed out on getting a reserved permit (sold out by late February!). I've never missed on getting a walk-in permit at the Forest Service office, but then I usually go solo. Four of us trying for a very popular trail head seems dicey. My question: To get a walk-in permit for Bishop Pass, how early on the morning of the 26th should we plan to show up at the office? Will 6 a.m. do it? I have a few backup trips in mind, but 47 has been on my to so list for a long time.

Second question: With a big snow pack this year, I'm a bit concerned about crossing Knapsack, Potluck and Cirque passes. Any thoughts on those three for late July this year?

Thanks!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Bishop Pass walk-in permit

Post by markskor »

I know nothing about Bishop Pass permits...what time to be in line?
It is not a weekend so, anticipate good luck. How's the karma?

But, " Any thoughts on those three (passes) for late July this year?"

Just taking an educated guess here, based on nothing but 30+ years of Sierra wanderings...it should be perfect...maybe a little marshy in spots, mosquitoes albeit somewhat higher than normal - buggy conditions. Wildflowers should be quite amazing too.

Once it starts heating up, which it appears that it already has...the snow usually goes quickly...
I hope!

Expect suncups and 70º...Take good glasses.
Do the passes early day/ mornings around noon, before they get too mushy.

I say this because I am scheduled to be going over Red Peak Pass a week earlier, and my karma is great!
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Gregw822

I think 6 am should be fine, getting 4 permits in a heavy snow year gets more difficult
in July, and August.
With the passes your asking about you can only guess, to many variables between now
and the end of July.
Your best bet is to call the ranger station a couple days before your trip, also keep
checking boards like this one to see if anyone has a trip report posted to these or
other location in close proximity, plan accordingly.
If it looks iffy than use one of your back up trips.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

Thanks for the info! I seemed to lead a charmed life, so my karma will be good. Counting the days....
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I believe they give away the "no shows" if a reserved permit is not picked up by 11 AM. Only stipulation is that you have to leave that day. If you do not get all the permits by waiting for the early "first come" permits, you may be able to pick up a few no-shows at 11AM. I suspect that this year with the odd snow conditions there may be a few more "no-shows" than usual.

Honestly, I have never been asked to show a permit on that route. If you get three permits, have the fourth guy walk several hundred yards behind. When you are stopped he can disappear in the bushes.