Olancha Peak - May 30, 2010

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Olancha Peak - May 30, 2010

Post by Ranboze »

I joined Tomcat in a dayclimb from Sage Flat. The route was almost entirely free of snow. The last quarter mile along the PCT before heading up Olancha had quite a few large snow patches, but careful footing was all that was necessary to traverse them. A bit of snow after leaving the PCT and heading up the SW face, but did not require extra tools. It was a gorgeous 41 degrees with a windchill of 32d on top. Water was not a problem for us (we followed a high route, never dropping into summit meadow). These small creeks probably won't last a whole lot longer.

This was my first time up Olancha and have dubbed it one of my favorite peaks... what a fantastic last 1500 foot scramble to the top! My first bit sierra peak of the year, and it was great to be back!
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Olancha Peak - May 30, 2010

Post by Snow Nymph »

Congratulations on a new peak!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;