Help me plan a 3 day backpacking trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
diesel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Help me plan a 3 day backpacking trip

Post by diesel »

Wandering daisy, I like your yosemite suggestion- I'll definitely consider this one as soon as tioga pass opens up again. Admittedly I haven't done my research Here yet, but would there be some shuttle I'd be able to take back to my car or will I have to rely on the kindness of strangers to pick me up? Thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As far as I know, the shuttle does not go to White Wolf (the shuttle used to go from Tuolumne Meadows to Tenaya Lake and maybe Olmstead Point). They are expanding shuttle services in Yosemite every year, so you need to call and check on this. If facilities are open, White Wolf has a resturant and campground, so you really do not need to stick your thumb out on the road - just ask around. We actually had to walk up the road to the highway and hitch from the side of the road, because the facilities were not yet open. Funny story here too -- a British couple picked us up and immediately started up the highway on the left lane! We quickly reminded them that we Americans drive on the right side.
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

Checked the nps site and luckily the shuttle does go to white wolf now as well so I would have that to fall back on. Dangerous stream crossings would be new territory for me though Im up for the challenge and certainly don't mind getting wet. Were these a frequent encounter on the trail? I'll make sure to call and inquire about water levels In June
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I cannot judge what is "dangerous" to you versus myself with regard to river crossings. Like previously stated, if a crossing looks dangerous and you cannot find a log to cross safely, you need to be prepared to retreat. In your decription of your qualifications you stated that river crossings are "no problem". It is hard to say what you will encounter. It depends on the time of day, exact day and weather conditions the previous day or two. Water is generally higher in late afternoons when up-river snow melts, particulary if it is freezing at night in the high watershed. If it has recently rained, a surge of water will be going downstream - may take a day for rain at the crest to reach Pate Valley. Most crossings are on bridges. Just below Glen Aulin there is a flat area to traverse- when we went, this was covered with knee-deep to thigh deep water. We just took of pants and waded through it. You do want to have shoes that work well with wading. We only had one crossing we felt we could not do - so went upstream and found a log. I think if I were taller I could have done that crossing. Short people like me have a bit more difficulty with crossings. There were several stretches of trail covered with about 6 inches of water - wet feet are a given.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

This year would be a great time to hike Tuolumne to Waterwheel Falls for your early hike. Not a loop trip, but should be good water for an amazing experience.

I went for my 50th birthday at the end of June in 2006 and couldn't have had a better present. As Wandering Daisy said, just west of Glen Aulin (proper, not HSC) it was totally flooded and here we took the most time zigzagging across the downed trees. Also, the water was so high, the river was on the trail at twin bridges and the HSC. Dingley Creek crossing took care, too. Lots of boots off...boots on. But the waterfalls were breathtaking. A fairly easy hike ended up quite the adventure.

Don't expect any shuttles in June.
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

Thanks, hiker chick- it sounds like a great trip. And Wandering Daisy, funny that you mentioned height, as I'm a shorter guy as well and that was my main reason for asking more about river crossings.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

I'm a shortie too...at 5'2".

Ha...makes river and creek crossings and rock climbing seemingly even more adventurous!
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

Secured our permit for the grand canyon of the tuolumne for the last week of June! Ranger warned me that water levels might be an issue but we shall see how things look over the next few weeks
giovanni
Topix Novice

Post by giovanni »

for those who have Done the grand canyon of the tr hike, When did you do it? I'm skeptical that it would be a doable hike in late June given the current snow and weather conditions
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

A lot can happen between now and end of June. I would not write it off just yet. The crossing that nearly stopped us was Register Creek. There is a large bridge over Return Creek - however this bridge washed out in 1998 and it took the Park Service several years to replace it. If there is a sudden melt this year, the bridge may again wash out - check with rangers before going. The Grand Canyon of Tuolomne is a wonderful trip even if you cannot do the whole route. You may also consider going to base of Waterwheel Falls and then day-hiking down the river and return to the Lembert Dome trailhead. We did the trip the very first day Tioga Pass opened about 5 years ago. The water was very high. We almost could not get across Register Creek - found a log upstream. You just have to have flexible plans.

If when you get there to pick up your permit, it does not look good, a good "Plan B" to consider (from same trailhead) is to go to Young Lakes and then climb Mt Conness or explore Rosevelt Lakes area.