Hoover/Northern Yosemite loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giovanni
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hoover/Northern Yosemite loop

Post by giovanni »

I'm considering a loop that would start in Leavitt meadows in August. I'd first hike to tower lake, then tilden lake, jack main canyon, dorothy lake, then back to leavitt. It looks like it'd be about a 40 mile loop, so I'll take my time and do it in 6 or 7 days (with possible day hikes on layover days).

Anyone here done something similar? I've never been in the northern yosemite area, so I don't know what to expect yet. I'm curious what others think so if you have any trip reports or insight to share, I'd appreciate it.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Hoover/Northern Yosemite loop

Post by oldranger »

I'm jealous. I was going to do a similar trip only set up a shuttle and go from Leavitt to Hetch Hetchy.
However my timetable for the trip required a mid july start and I was concerned about the terrain and snow between Tower and Mary Lakes. So I opted to do a trip further s. with mostly s. exposure. I suspect my concerns won't apply by mid August. Tilden and Jack Main Canyon are pretty nice! Have fun.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is a spectacular area just east of Tower Lake - well worth a day-hike. It is a short distance but terrain is rough. Stay as high as possible. It requires some rock scrambling to drop off the shoulder of Tower Peak. The area is called "Rainbow Valley" and is under Hawksbeak Peak. Also, the climb of Tower Peak is great fun class 2+.

I did a spring trip up Jack Main Canyon and the mosquitoes were horrendous at Tilden Lake. This year I would be prepared for mosquitoes in August too. Jack Main Canyon will likely be very hot in August though. On the way back (I came in from Hetch Hetchy) I ran into one bear per mile on the trail (in a 6 mile stretch) and ended up doing a 15-mile day to avoid camping among bears.

Dorothy Lake is nice. There are lakes just over the pass too that would be less crowded. Dorothy Lake is a standard PCT campsite. The last time I was up here a few years ago, it was late season (hunting season) and I got totally snowed on! I spotted bear tracks, cat tracks and a lot of deer tracks in the fresh snow. I bailed out early due to the snow and in typical Murphy's Law fashion, the sky cleared to total sunshine as I reached my car.
giovanni
Topix Novice

Post by giovanni »

Thanks, tower peak was exactly what I was considering for a day
hike. And now that I know about your encounters with bears, I'll keep my eyes open once were on Jack main
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

I did a trip there last September. You will love Northern Yosemite. One of my favorites.
Wandering Daisy wrote:There is a spectacular area just east of Tower Lake - well worth a day-hike. It is a short distance but terrain is rough. Stay as high as possible. It requires some rock scrambling to drop off the shoulder of Tower Peak. The area is called "Rainbow Valley" and is under Hawksbeak Peak.
Here is a picture of the above description.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I have done the tower lake to tilden lake in August in BIG SNOW years and the pass can be quite diffilcult from Tower Lake to Mary Lake with lots of snow. Tilden Lake is beautiful with no people except the skeeters.

Texan
giovanni
Topix Novice

Post by giovanni »

Great pictures. Certainly looks like a worthy destination....time to take another look at the map
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Giovanni

The Hawksbeak area is pretty, and I would include it into your itinerary.
I personally would rather zoom past the skeeter factory (Tilden) and go to the
lakes in Thompson Canyon.
Head up Thompson, and jump the ridge over to Rainbow Valley.
This will give you solitude, and a peek into an area (Thompson) rarely visited but
quite beautiful.
Jack Main is a nice place in early to mid season, and Dorothy is okay, IMO.
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted

Post by SkagetMuir »

Giovanni

I am doing a similar trip come the end of June through July 4th. I'll be leaving from the Buckeye Creek Trail head to Tower lake and down to Leavitt meadows with stops in-between. I should have a pretty good report of conditions when I return. I'm hoping with all this warm weather the pass will be clear. I guess we'll see.
"Everyone is different, likes doing different things, but we all go to the back country for a reason, it's what we do with that reason that counts."
giovanni
Topix Novice

Post by giovanni »

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!