Backpacking SeKi late July, 2010.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sierray
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Backpacking SeKi late July, 2010.

Post by sierray »

Fellow backpackers,

Does anybody want to join me on a 9 day trip in Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park starting around July 19, 2010? Here's a summary of the route: Start at LodgePole, hike through Bearpaw Meadow and south to the Mineral King area, turn east and hike over the Great Western Divide, turn north and hike over Kaweah gap and through Deadman canyon, turn west and hike through Sugarloaf Valley, over Silliman Pass and back to LodgePole.

I live on the San Francisco peninsula.

I have to firm up the schedule and mail the permit application ASAP before the quota is all filled up.

Ray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Backpacking SeKi late July, 2010.

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You will get more response if you add some details. What is your experience level, how many miles per day, total miles and elev. gain for trip, exactly what passes, a more exact route. Most will want to match their interest or expierence level with yours and you have not given enough information to do this. Sounds like a fun trip. Good Luck.
sierray
Topix Newbie

Post by sierray »

I was going to wait until individuals responded before I gave all the details but you have a good point.

I backpack once per summer in the Sierra for 5-10 days. I've done the JMT in pieces over the years and I did Kern Canyon last year. I average 10 miles per day for the first few days and then increase to about 13-15 miles per day.

According to my Tom Harrison "Mt. Whitney High Country" map, total mileage for this trip is about 103 miles. The elevation is typically 8,000 feet with passes at 11,630 (Sawtooth Pass), 10,700 (Kaweah Pass), 11,370 (Elizabeth Pass), and 10,180 (Silliman Pass). It would be best to refer to Tom's map or the equivalent topo for the exact elevation change.

The planned route will be all on the trail although the trail over Sawtooth Pass has the "Secondary Trail" designation on Tom's map. I figure if a backpacker is comfortable with a trip of this length then they will probably have a little bit of experience with trails that occasionally have short confusing segments as Sawtooth Pass may have.

My proposed camping areas listed by day are:

Day Camp Area
1 1 mile past 7690 junction, 4 1/2 miles west of Bearpaw Meadow.
2 Redwood Meadow.
3 Atwell Mill.
4 Lost Canyon.
5 Eastern base of Kaweah gap.
6 Elizabeth Pass.
7 Between Roaring River and Sugarloaf Valley.
8 Silliman Pass.
9 Lodgepole (arrive mid-day).

Ray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Just curious - why are you going to Atwell Mill? The trailhead is Mineral King. Why not take the trail over Timber Gap? Are you re-supplying at Mineral King? If not, why go that low on the Mineral King road? You would have to walk up the road several miles to get back on the trail. A very beautiful route is to take the trial up Cliff Creek. If willing to do a short stretch of steep snow at the top, Glacier Pass basically intersects the Sawtooth Pass trail. You still have to go up and drop down a lot to get to Atwell, why not just go over Timber Gap, even if you stay on the trail and have to drop down before you intersect the Monarch Lake trail.

I do not think there is a bridge across the river at Redwood Meadow. Someone else may correct me if this is not true, or enlighten me on how difficult the crossing is.
sierray
Topix Newbie

Post by sierray »

Daisy,

In a word, curiousity. I wanted to see SIlver City and eat some of their pie. Also, I thought coming down the hill to Atwell Mill would give me some more and better views of the canyon to the west of Mineral King. I'm not sure, I'll just have to see.

I like to get as much topography variety as I can within a given area and within the time frame I am limited to.

Thanks for the info.

Ray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The pies are yummy! And for $5 you can get a shower. The rooms are about $100. You should also consider buying some food at the store - this would reduce your starting weight. I bet you could mail your supplies to the resturant and they would keep it for you (for a fee, of course). Its worth calling them about this. And I bet if you booked a room they would do this for free. The campgrounds are also nice - more like $10.