Only read if you think like me

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Only read if you think like me

Post by rlown »

cmon4day wrote:
richlong8 wrote: That doesn't mean people who might disagree with me or you are stupid or "uninformed", or "fox news people".
So what are you saying. People who watch fox news are stupid and uninformed??? Thats the problem with you liberals, you think your smarter and know whats best for the rest of us.
I think this thread was spawned after Eric locked the MYLF thread. It'd be nice not to get back into the randomness and personal attacks. I personally know people who follow both FOX and NPR, and, well, I don't (trying to be nice here). I tend to look at what groups are doing, when they appropriately advertise it, and make my own decisions.

RE: frogs: Just tell me up front if you are going to remove fish from a lake I like, and I'll be happy if the science is sound.

RE: fish: It's obvious that with no stocking most lakes will go dead "naturally". The lakes that are SS are the pearls that we need keep close to the heart and fight for.

This thread is not the place for that discussion. This thread should probably be deleted. Ikan's excellent Haiku should be preserved. Kudos.

Russ
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

C'mon, if this thread gets deleted I'll have to do something else with my Cascade Valley pics. My other reply is: "thats the trouble with you liberals?". I thought we were anglers and backpackers. I feel like I have something in common with all of us, although some don't think that way about me. Oh well. Don't virtually all of us have a love of the wilderness in common. This makes us a brotherhood of sorts. We don't have to agree with each other about everything. Tolerance, understanding, and humanity amongst other traits are positive stuff. I nearly never met someone in the backcountry (at least a ways in) that I didn't like. I'm sure some didn't like me, but again, oh well. Remember this - hate and anger are human traits, but not good ones. Also, backpackers are the good guys. Aren't we?
Last edited by Cross Country on Sun May 16, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
el cuervo

Post by el cuervo »

ideas not mine
xenophobia is right
extirpate the frogs
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

Oak worms catch the breeze
Spring on the Mokelumne
Fat trout lurke below

[Just a note. There are small worms that feed on the oaks along the river. They fall from the trees on small silk threads. The trout wait below. Fish with mealy worms, which are fairly close to what is falling from the trees.]

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

"So what are you saying. People who watch fox news are stupid and uninformed??? Thats the problem with you liberals, you think your smarter and know whats best for the rest of us."

Wow- I either need to write with more clarity, so people understand me, or you are being facetious. For the record, I watch FOX, I am probably more conservative/llibertarian than Rush Limbaugh. I don't consider myself the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I definitely don't presume to know what is best for you or others. I just want to be able to know clearly where the fish have been eliminated for the sake of the frog, so I don't waste my valuable time and energy going to those areas.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

El Cuervo,

I don't reply to a lot of topics but this one I will. Stop bringing politics into this forum. Nobody cares!!!! Also I am tired of you defending the frogs too. Most people on this topic just want to fish and thats it. Have a good evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texan
Iamjbird04
Topix Acquainted

Post by Iamjbird04 »

It has been a long time since I have posted on here. I wish I had more time to read and post but college has managed to keep me very busy and my free time is spent fishing and hiking. I find this discussion very interesting and I do think it is applicable to fishing and hiking in general.

I think it is just fine that people want to leave politics out of "fishing discussion" but if that be case, then just don't comment. But i for one like argument and I think it can be very constructive. One thing that I think we can all agree on is the importance of protecting our wilderness areas so that we can continue to enjoy them. Everybody has differing views on how this is best done and I don't think anybody is or ever will be qualified enough to say that their viewpoint is best (Unless of course they are all knowing). It is always important to keep an open mind and try to understand why people with differing views think the way they do, it can either make you change your mind or even more firmly reaffirm your current point of view. I like hearing opinions opposite of mine for this reason. It is important that we all don't get caught up in believing things just because we think we are supposed to. Just because one tends to have liberal/conservative views doesn't mean they should always take a liberal/conservative stance on an issue, this is close-minded and allows ignorance to fester within. I for one tend to be more conservative, and when arguing with some liberal friends I get attacked and accused of wanting to destroy the environment. Of course this is not true, I want to see the environment protected but there are right ways and wrong ways of doing this. It is important that people see that there is never one side to an argument and everybody has different reasons why they have the opinions that they do.

Sorry for rambling, I wish I was better at organizing my thoughts. My main point is, try to understand the thought process behind people's opinions and it will open up you up to a whole new way of thinking about an issue. And Nature is fun and beautiful, that's why we are all on here talking about it so much.
el cuervo

Post by el cuervo »

delete this thread now
don't bring politics in here
simple minds fear much

This thread is my thread, and only for people that think like me.

If you don't like it, don't post here.

Some see the wisdom in listening to differing points of view to help one see the bigger picture.

Some are able to hear ideas from a different world view and not feel instantly threatened.

Few here are able to, it would seem.

Man is a species, not THE species.