Zion is for the Birds!

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Zion is for the Birds!

Post by oldranger »

Did a quick trip to Zion recently and while everyone has seen the rocks it was the birds that grabbed my attention this year. On our second day Kathy and I did Angels Landing just a couple days after a woman fell to her death from Scout Overlook. But as we arrived at scout overlook this day I looked at the ridge to the left and was greeted with a vision of #31 warming himself in the early morning sun.
31-1.jpg
I was experimenting with different exposures so this is a more natural exposure with a sightly different pose.
31-2.jpg
After we completed our trek up Angels Landing (Kathy was more than a little amused at how nervous I was about the exposure and we are not talking photography here) #31 entertained us with a flyby before once more landing on his perch. We were both amused by all the people with their heads down, intent on making Angels Landing, that walked right by that magnificent bird without seeing it. A couple of days later we hiked up to Observation Point which is much higher but less scary than Angels Landing. About the time we were ready to leave #A3 decided to glide right over us. Of course I had the short lens on but A3 cooperated by flying within 50 ft. directly overhead.
A3 Fly over.jpg
It was pretty amusing that the agressive chipmunks that had been pestering us as we ate and took in the views disappeared for the remaining 10 minutes that we were at the point. I guess they don't know the difference between a hawk, eagle, or falcon and a condor.
Later back in the campground I decided to look for the tom turkey that had been gobbling every evening. It took about 5 minutes to find this guy.
In Love!.jpg
Back at camp my beer drinking was interrupted by Kathy insisting that I take a photo of this fella.
Summer Tanager.jpg
The summer tanager is relatively rare in Zion and the online habitat map I looked up indicated that the species normally does not go tht far north. We also saw a western tanager but they are pretty common in the sierra so that was not new for us. But I thought it was cool to expect to be wowed by the geography (which we were!) but to be thrilled by observing new birds and an endangered species!

Oh yes for those of you afraid of getting old we met a 73 year old couple on top of Angels Landing!

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Zion is for the Birds!

Post by The Other Tom »

Great pics and report Mike ! Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for the neat shots.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Great shots of the birds! Scott and I were in that area 12 years ago. Beautiful area!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Damn, Mike, I had an old tom turkey strutting like that in my own back yard last month and couldn't get a picture nearly as good as yours! Fantastic pix! Thanks!
—B²
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Back in the day, just before they removed the condors from the wild, there was a nesting pair in the Sisquoc Condor Sanctuary in the San Rafael wilderness that I was fortunate enough to see. It is spectacular to see them flying wild. One of my favorite memories is of hurrying head down along a ridge through a cloudy dusk near San Rafael Mtn trying to get to a camp before the storm broke. When it started to snow I looked up to the sky just in time to see a condor soar 30 feet over my head crossing the ridge. After that I didn't care what the weather did and if it hadn't started to snow right then I would have missed that sight.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher